Renew drivers licence in return

Bumblebee

Hi all,

Just got back and need to renew my driver licence. I never  told them I'd left (10+ years ago!) and it says you can be fined for not telling then you've change address. 

Am I going to get in trouble?

Do I just do the online application to renew? What have others done?

I don't know my NI number but of course have passport, and it says they can just use my passport photo.

Thanks

We went into a post office and the very nice lady in there helped us out. There was a machine that took our photos and had a thing to sign that captured your signature. The licenses were back within the week. Only some post offices do this service though, so check before you go. It cost £4.50 extra, and as we did it the day after we arrived, jet-lagged and confused, we decided it was worth the extra few pounds. Here is the information https://www.postoffice.co.uk/uk-driving-licence-photocard-renewal

ETA: Don't worry about getting into trouble, as above. We didn't notify them because they didn't want an overseas address, and we didn't have a UK one.

Edited by LKC
  • Like 2

On 13/01/2019 at 13:39, LKC said:

We went into a post office and the very nice lady in there helped us out. There was a machine that took our photos and had a thing to sign that captured your signature. The licenses were back within the week. Only some post offices do this service though, so check before you go. It cost £4.50 extra, and as we did it the day after we arrived, jet-lagged and confused, we decided it was worth the extra few pounds. Here is the information https://www.postoffice.co.uk/uk-driving-licence-photocard-renewal

ETA: Don't worry about getting into trouble, as above. We didn't notify them because they didn't want an overseas address, and we didn't have a UK one.

Can I ask what you took with you? Just passports? Thanks

On 14/01/2019 at 17:56, Bumblebee said:

Can I ask what you took with you? Just passports? Thanks

Sorry, I've not been on for a couple of days!

I don't exactly remember what we needed. I had a folder that I kept everything in (Aus and British passports, Aus and British driving licenses and the paper parts of the UK ones, birth certificates, marriage certificate, medical stuff, National Insurance cards) and just gave the lady what she asked for. I'd think passports and UK licenses/the paper parts if you have them.

Got it sorted, so simple, he only wanted the photo card part, took  new photo and asked for the address. Didn't need anything particular but he did see the Aussie bank account statement with UK address on. 

Should take 8-10 days he said. One less thing to sort...tick!