Citizen by Descent not an option

caribus

Hello

When applying online, it asks about the status of the sponsor.

the options are citizen by birth, citizen by grant, NZ citizen.

My sponsor is a citizen by descent.

We did some research online and Birth, Grant & Descent are clearly established as 3 different way of being an Australian citizen. However, 'Citizen by descent' isn't an option during application.

Does that mean you should tick nothing, or tick 'Grant' ?

Thank for your help!

Thanks Ingers, you're everywhere!

During the initial application we didn't tick anything and later on realised we should probably have, so we used the 'notification of incorrect answer' to explain our confusion. Hopefully it'll be ok. As we have to do the 40sp from the sponsor's immi account too now, we'll tick 'Grant' this time.

It's already a mess 😕

Thanks all for your help.

• Like 1

Now that's just me being curious but....

Imagine the sponsor is citizen by descent but has never lived in Australian. So you tick 'by Grant' then the next question it asks is 'date of arrival in Australia'. You wouldn't be able to out anything there because you've never lived there, so you wouldn't be able to go any further with the application.

That's not our case as my sponsor did live in Australia for her entire childhood but that makes me wonder if Grant applies to a citizen by descent! It's not asking for a date of grant but a date of arrival.

Clearly it would make more sense for them to add Descent as an option!