Partner visa changes this year?? Applying onshore

tom1993

Hi guys,

Surprised I havnt seen this mentioned on the forum but I had an e mail from my agent saying there are some changes happening to the partner visa application process.

Apparently you will need to become an approved applicant before you can lodge an application which might have implications for applying onshore straight off an ETA visa? For example the ETA will expire before you get approved as an applicant meaning you will have to leave. Processing times for becoming approved could take 12 weeks I have read.

Has anyone got anymore info/know when the full details are going to be released as me and my partner are planning applying onshore later this year, but this might complicate things.

The full details havnt been released yet but you can read it here:

https://ahwc.com.au/australian-immigration-news/breaking-news-changes-to-australian-partner-visa-legislation/

12 hours ago, tom1993 said:

Hi guys,

Surprised I havnt seen this mentioned on the forum but I had an e mail from my agent saying there are some changes happening to the partner visa application process.

Apparently you will need to become an approved applicant before you can lodge an application which might have implications for applying onshore straight off an ETA visa? For example the ETA will expire before you get approved as an applicant meaning you will have to leave. Processing times for becoming approved could take 12 weeks I have read.

Has anyone got anymore info/know when the full details are going to be released as me and my partner are planning applying onshore later this year, but this might complicate things.

The full details havnt been released yet but you can read it here:

https://ahwc.com.au/australian-immigration-news/breaking-news-changes-to-australian-partner-visa-legislation/

its beenrumoured for the last two years or so but no firm details have ever been made available

12 hours ago, tom1993 said:

It doesn't surprise me.  The official reason is to do with family violence, but I wonder if part of it is to discourage onshore applications?

After all, the whole idea of immigration control is that you don't let people remain in Australia unless they have a valid visa.  Yet we have thousands of people arriving on tourist visas and then applying for a permanent visa, and then they're allowed to stay for months if not years on a bridging visa.   It's perfectly legal, but it is, basically, a way to jump the queue.   Given the current government's attitude to immigration, I can see why they want to discourage it.

The rumours are true. 

It is part of the "The Migration Amendment (Family Violence and Other Measures) Bill 2016" which passed both houses of Parliament in November 2018 and received assent in December 2018. We are now just waiting for it to be implemented.

It will be relevant to a number of visas including partner visas.

Under the changes, the Australian sponsor will need to first apply and be approved as a sponsor, before their partner can apply for a visa.

It is likely that this will be used to force people to lodge and wait for partner applications offshore.

The Department will easily be able to delay the approval of the sponsor while the partner is here on an ETA or other short term visa, thus forcing them to depart, before a visa can be lodged. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/01/2019 at 07:16, Raul Senise said:

The rumours are true. 

It is part of the "The Migration Amendment (Family Violence and Other Measures) Bill 2016" which passed both houses of Parliament in November 2018 and received assent in December 2018. We are now just waiting for it to be implemented.

It will be relevant to a number of visas including partner visas.

Under the changes, the Australian sponsor will need to first apply and be approved as a sponsor, before their partner can apply for a visa.

It is likely that this will be used to force people to lodge and wait for partner applications offshore.

The Department will easily be able to delay the approval of the sponsor while the partner is here on an ETA or other short term visa, thus forcing them to depart, before a visa can be lodged. 

Do we have any notion of when it will be implemented? I was planning on having my Spanish partner apply onshore in July....

And can I as a sponsor get my application done now, in advance of that?

1 hour ago, bencooke86 said:

Do we have any notion of when it will be implemented? I was planning on having my Spanish partner apply onshore in July....

And can I as a sponsor get my application done now, in advance of that?

You can't do it now as the new system hasn't been introduced yet!

I have heard rumours of March and June for dates of the change.