Purplethunder's Oz Reccie

Purplethunder

Sorry been a while getting this on as access to the web is not easy here in Melbourne, unlike Hong Kong where it was wall to wall wireless with free access, it's a tad behind the times here.

Well we've been here 3 days now and my feet are killing me! We've been on the city tram which was good for getting an initial view of the city. We're on Queen street which is right in the middle of the cbd so we're close to everything which is why my feet hurt as it's quicker to walk.

Yesterday we went to St Kilda on the tram which was 20 minutes or so and was lovely, there are numerous little cafes and bars and the cakes OMG!!! my 4 year old had a slice of chocolate cake that was bigger than his head, needless to say he didn't finish it, so we'll be sharing the next one!

Today was the Melbourne aquarium which was busy as it's the school holidays here, it was excellent my son loved the shark tunnel and the rays are huge!

I have seen some graffiti which Buck did say about but it's not rife and the people are lovely and very welcoming.

The price of things here is the same as in the UK, so if you're looking to move here to have a cheaper way of life I don't think that would work, the house rents and petrol are about the only things that appear to be cheaper.

We're off to some of the SE suburbs tomorrow, hoping to do Berwick and Mordialloc, finger's crossed I'll eb able to let you know about them tomorrow night as we've found a 24 hour internet store.

I have felt very at home and at ease and do not feel threatened in any shape or form while walking the streets, which is nice to feel!

Logging off now!

Debs:yes::yes:

Guest KP Nuts

Hi Debs, if your son need's any help eating the chocolate cake, just shout, in the meantime, hope you are still enjoying your reccie, and keep us posted....

KP Nuts

Well guys, today we went on the Connex train to Berwick and I now see the graffiti that Buck was describing....not the standard of rail comfort that we're used to in the UK that's for sure, the only good thing was that they were on time so it's a trade off in that respect.

The little we did see of Berwick was nice, we had lunch in the Berwick Inn and the portions were huge as usual...why don't they cut the portions and reduce the charge????

We are a bit disappointed with how it's looking over here, from where we are in Wokingham and it's prospects for both hubby's work and mine, the cost of living etc etc we'll actually be better off in the UK, we're not getting the warm fuzzy feeling that we thought we might do about Melbourne, maybe Sydney will be different. At present the only better thing's we'd have here are a bigger house and the petrol at 85cents a litre, the rest we'd be the same or worse off.

Still that was the point of this whole trip to see whether Australia was for us...at the moment it's not.

More to come when we visit other residential areas!

Debs

Hi Debs,

Good to read your posts and note your views. Sounds as though you are going to visit Sydney too then? Where else are you of too?

Have you looked at Mornington and around that area. My Nan lives there and is very happy. When we were at Hamilton Islands an Austalian man said to us that Melbourne was the best place in Australia lots of culture etc.. he raved abt it, but for me it didnt tick all the boxes although in all fairness we were there on holiday not a reccie and I was with my Nan and spent alot of time at her house rather than having a good look about.

Enjoy the research!

Sorry been very busy doing lots of traveeling around the suburbs of Melbourne.

Sooooo my last post said that Oz was looking like it wasn't for us, since then we've been to the south east and the south west. We went to Werribee, Altona and Williamstown...which we really liked especially Altona and Williamstown. We also went to Sandringham, Mordialloc and Cheltenham, although these were nice areas they didn't tick all our boxes.

I'm now 80/20 on moving to Oz and hubby is still 50/50, soo looks like we may stay in the UK still, although we're off to Sydney on the overnight train tonight and have friends there you may be able to sway our decision.

It's cold and raining in Melbourne today which is why we came in July so as to experience the worst time of year!

One silver lining is that I found out that I passed my final CIMA accounting exam...thank goodness!!!!

If you want to see some video and pics of where we've been just go to Home Page, there all on there.

Speak to you all soon!

Debs

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Debs

What great updates keep them coming. Unfortunately you are right, the graffiti was the first thing that hit us when we arrived 4 years ago. You have probably come at the worst time of year as winter here is like a typical day in the UK:yes:

I just recently posted on another thread about suburbs and what is perfect for one may not be for another. It is good that you are looking around yourself and hopefully at the end of your reccie you will have a better idea if Oz has everything you want or if you would be happier staying where you are, I would like to wish you all the best whatever you decide and hope you enjoy the rest of your reccie:jiggy:

Sorry, been busy in Sydney which we much prefer to Melbourne, didn't think we would but hey again that's why we're here to check things out!

We're staying in apartments on Darling Harbour which is a mass of restaurants and a couple of shopping centres, an aquarium and a wildlife dome right on the harbour. We took a ferry to Drummoyne which was superb, on time and 20 minutes max, and we sat in the sailing club lounge having drinks, it's warmer here than Melbourne, today it's been sunny all day and around 20 I would say, so in the summer it would be out of this world! Can yu tell I'm happier about here than Melbourne???

We were on Manly beach today OMG that was fab and so was the town centre, we both loved it the ferry from Circular quay taking in the Harbour bridge and the Opera House was 30 minutes...what a breathtaking view that gave, it's iconic and only things most people see on TV!

This has swayed us more than anywhere in melbourne and fingers crossed hubby may have moved past the 50/50 stage...I certainly have!

Brickie that meant to say 85 pence not cents sorry!

Guest mandisfam

Hi Purplethunder, What great posts, do keep them coming....sounds like you are having a great reccie.

Just one little question, do you think because the sun is shining in sydney and melbourne is cold and damp, this fact makes sydney more appealing??? Or do you feel there is more to it than that???

Are you heading anywhere else during your time there???

Great posts keep the coming.

Mandisfam

Guest Jaynie

Great posts, keep them coming........Must admit....I prefer Sydney over Melbourne too, but that's my opinion.

Glad you seem to be having a great time, although after todays weather (really cold and windy) you might change your mind!!

Guest stockies
Sorry, been busy in Sydney which we much prefer to Melbourne, didn't think we would but hey again that's why we're here to check things

Im with you on this one, I much prefered Sydney to Melbourne, dont ask me why it was just a feeling...

I know geoffrey will totally disagree with me on this one!!!!!!!!

Claire. XX

Guest taffy 62

Thats the shame about people coming over for reckies in australia.

Everyone goes to the cities but the best places are in the country, give me the country australia to the city any day!!!!!

People dont know what beautiful little havens they are missing when they go from city to city, I realise sometimes employment plays a big part, but when you move to the country the wages are less but the houses are less also so it all equells out in the end.

I recomend people that even if you come to a major city in Oz come weekends get out there and see what the little places have to offer, you may be pleasantly surprised:jiggy:

Sorry, been busy in Sydney which we much prefer to Melbourne, didn't think we would but hey again that's why we're here to check things

Im with you on this one, I much prefered Sydney to Melbourne, dont ask me why it was just a feeling...

I know geoffrey will totally disagree with me on this one!!!!!!!!

Claire. XX

Yes your right, not impressed with Sydney don't get me wrong it has a wonderful harbour and a huge WOW factor, it has a great feel to the place AS A VISITOR! Working and living in Sydney is totally different. It is very busy tight narrow one way streets, very easy to get lost and for traffic jams to occur.

Melborne may not have the WOW factor but it grows on you, You can make your way around with ease with wide tree lined streets. Melbourne was thought out and designed in one go un-like Sydney that grew a little at a time.

I think most people on 1st impressions may choose the Gold Coast? with its endless white sand beaches warm weather palm trees and a very laid back feel, What about Brisbane with its beach in the city?

As I've said Sydney has the wow factor but how many times will you get to see it? when your crossing the bridge in peak hour? When the WOW factor leaves you what are you left with? This is when Melbourne comes into it's own.

Each to there own and Im not trying to turn this into a Melbourne vs Sydney post (as Melbourne will win hands down!!!) but just trying to add a little food for thought.

Purplethunder, I wish you luck with your tough choice, there are no easy parts to this process what so ever. Great posts by the way

Geoffrey

Guest stockies

Everyone goes to the cities but the best places are in the country, give me the country australia to the city any day!!!!!

People dont know what beautiful little havens they are missing when they go from city to city, I realise sometimes employment plays a big part, but when you move to the country the wages are less but the houses are less also so it all equells out in the end.

I recomend people that even if you come to a major city in Oz come weekends get out there and see what the little places have to offer, you may be pleasantly surprised:jiggy:

Quite agree with ya taffy62, my husband was working out in oz several years ago and he used to be an astronomer and the telescopes were always way out in the country so that there was no light around to affect the telescopes, we were in a little place called coonabarabran (think thats how you spell it) it was a quaint little place with a few shops, mind you it had everything that you needed ,there was even a chinese restaraunt which was fab, as we were there for a while we got to know a few of the locals who went out of there way to make us feel welcome. i love going beyond the cities as i personally think this gives a better picture of what real life is like........

I for one would hate to live in a city but sometimes you do have to go where the work is.

Claire . XX

Guest mandisfam
Quite agree with ya taffy62, my husband was working out in oz several years ago and he used to be an astronomer and the telescopes were always way out in the country so that there was no light around to affect the telescopes, we were in a little place called coonabarabran (think thats how you spell it) it was a quaint little place with a few shops, mind you it had everything that you needed ,there was even a chinese restaraunt which was fab, as we were there for a while we got to know a few of the locals who went out of there way to make us feel welcome. i love going beyond the cities as i personally think this gives a better picture of what real life is like........

I for one would hate to live in a city but sometimes you do have to go where the work is.

Claire . XX

This is very true. Country Australia is good, and much more laid back the beaches of queensland, just my opinion folks.

But this where I think Melbourne is a better place than Sydney. Melbourne has good rail links into the CBD, so could live a fair way out from the CBD but still get to work in reasonable time.

Mandisfam

this is very true. Country australia is good, and much more laid back the beaches of queensland, just my opinion folks.

But this where i think melbourne is a better place than sydney. Melbourne has good rail links into the cbd, so could live a fair way out from the cbd but still get to work in reasonable time.

Mandisfam

sure beats bloody perth!!!!

Guest mandisfam
sure beats bloody perth!!!!

it might well do, will let you know when we get to Perth..........:twitcy:

Hi all,

Well back home at 6.30 this morning and starting to feel woozy a bit now!

Employment is the biggest factor for us....hubby is a software tester/QA consultant and I'm an accountant, so it has to be a big city for that. I have friends in Sydney that have also been in Adelaide and have now travelled a fair bit as well...although the country is where the main biting, stinging creatures are!!!

I don't know why we preferred Sydney to Melbourne it just felt better, more friendly almost....and walking around Darling harbour even with the numbers of WYDSYD people chanting blinking "hallelulah" and banging their ruddy drums constantly didn't detract from the views.

We found the transport in both cities excellent and particularly liked the ferries in Sydney and the fact that you can buy 1 ticket that covers you for all transport.

The friends we have in Sydney are still wowed by the Opera House and Harbour Bridge and their life in Sydney after nearly a year their now, but this does depend on personal preference of course!

Hubby is still going to go through with the ACS and hopefully we'll make our minds up soon enough, we're still trying to figure out what Oz has to offer us long term that we don't already have here, apart from a better climate and proximity to the sea!!!

The friends we have in Sydney are still wowed by the Opera House and Harbour Bridge and their life in Sydney after nearly a year their now, but this does depend on personal preference of course!

When you went to the Opera House, did you walk under what looked like you were going under a subway, then all the bars were there?? What a fantastic atmosphere that was there!

Hope your plans work out well for you

Guest Pinhead

Purplethunder

Great commentary, it's always very interesting to hear peoples views on different places when they first experience them.

As you pointed out you visited Melbourne at the absolute worst time re weather. I found it particular depressing in July until I started to take the opportunity to use the swiming & gym facilities in my building. Being in Melbourne in the Spring/Summer is a completely different experience. But you're right to see it at it's worst I just hope that the slightly better weather in Sydney doesn't sway your decision. I fell in love with Melbourne in only three short days in March 02 during my holiday which turned out afterwards to be my reccie trip.

I liked Sydney especially the opera house, botanical gardens & Manly. However it felt too big & hertic to me, I much prefer Melbourne.

People's initial reactions are often monetary when comparing their possible lives in the UK or Oz. What you need to do is also take into account the things you can't measure in money like being out in the fresh air, being able to spend more time with the family, your general environment, etc.

All the best with your deliberations, lots more research needed I suspect.

Let us all know whichever way you decide.

PS I got my independant skilled visa via my ACCA qualification so pm me if you want any help on the accountancy side.

When you went to the Opera House, did you walk under what looked like you were going under a subway, then all the bars were there?? What a fantastic atmosphere that was there!

Hope your plans work out well for you

We didn't actually visit the Opera House, just sailed past it on the ferry on our way to Manly, but it was still awesome!!!

Archived