Child born overseas to an Australian citizen

Nima07

Hello all. Really need some help. My daughter was born overseas last month and my husband is an Australian citizen while I am a temporary resident. 

I want to travel to Australia ASAP to be with my husband. What’s my best option? Applying for citizenship by descent would take too long 😞 

if I add my daughter in my application for PR, would that be enough for her to get a visa for now as we’ve gotten a passport made for her from the country she was born in. 

We’ll be grateful for any help. Thanks 

I am not 100% sure but as soon as you put her details into a PR visa, they are going to see that one of her parents is Australian and I would imagine advise you that she qualifies for citizenship and therefore negates the need for a permanent residency visa?  Hopefully one of the migration agents can advise.

Make sure you read up on The Hague convention- once in Australia your child cannot be removed unless your partner gives permission. It’s worth considering if there is a possibility your application for PR is refused. It may mean you have to leave Australia and won’t be able to take your child with you. 

This is all just friendly advice, I of course have no knowledge of your situation and/or relationship status. 

You need to apply for citizenship by descent for your daughter, she is not entitled to a visa - she is entitled to CoD which is more powerful - hugely.

We applied and it was literally 10 days from apply to receiving certificate. We could then apply for her passport.

I know you've said it will take too long - but you need to go about things the right way. It won't take that long and if you fall foul of Australian immigration you may find you're banned for three+ years.

33 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

You need to apply for citizenship by descent for your daughter, she is not entitled to a visa - she is entitled to CoD which is more powerful - hugely.

We applied and it was literally 10 days from apply to receiving certificate. We could then apply for her passport.

I know you've said it will take too long - but you need to go about things the right way. It won't take that long and if you fall foul of Australian immigration you may find you're banned for three+ years.

Thanks for your response.

so first we have to apply for citizenship certificate & then we can apply for her Australian passport right ?

1 minute ago, Nima07 said:

Thanks for your response.

so first we have to apply for citizenship certificate & then we can apply for her Australian passport right ?

Yes. If you have her birth certificate and your Australian's husband's full information you can apply for her citizenship and then once the certificate arrives, you apply for her passport.