Selling stuff before return to UK

Guest Madge

Guest Madge

Hi there

I am a new member to this site but have been lurking as a guest for some time. We have been here 6 months and have decided that it is not for us. I won't go into the reasons but I just wanted to know what other people did about their belongings. We only shipped out 8 boxes and have bought all our furniture out here, mostly packages from fantastic furniture that we are not that bothered about shipping back but if you sold your stuff before moving back how did you go about it? Are we best sticking with e-bay, or should we try gum tree or garage sales. I haven't a clue where to start.

Any advice would be greatly apreciated.

Many thanks

Madge

Havent done it myself Madge but good luck with whatever you go for. I would be trying them all - our paper does a free ad for stuff under $100 so if you have things that fall into that category, try your local paper and see if they have a similar deal. If you live near a uni, put up notices on the notice board there for things for sale or put ads in the uni newsletter classifieds. Garage sale - absolutely, probably the best way to get rid of a whole lot with minimal effort. Personally I wouldnt be bothering with ebay - too much hassle unless you have some really special stuff to get rid of -all that packing up and posting makes me nervous. Bookshops will often give you a job lot price for a load of books, otherwise St Vinnies or the Salvos would be glad of any donations. Then for anything else, there is Freecycle (http://www.freecycle.com) and there will probably be a group near you - you can get rid of all sorts of stuff through them - wont get any money for it but it will be gone and out of your way. The gumtree is another good option too.

There is also a classifieds section on BE if there is big stuff that you want to get a decent price for. It sounds like it will all be just like new so hopefully you wont have too much trouble getting rid of it.

Good luck!

Guest donovan

Hiya Madge

Sorry to hear your going back, but at least you gave it a go.

As for you stuff you could put a thread on here with items and how much you want , as plenty of people moving over here that need furniture etc.

where are you living?

Sarah x

Guest itskaren
Hi there

I am a new member to this site but have been lurking as a guest for some time. We have been here 6 months and have decided that it is not for us. I won't go into the reasons but I just wanted to know what other people did about their belongings. We only shipped out 8 boxes and have bought all our furniture out here, mostly packages from fantastic furniture that we are not that bothered about shipping back but if you sold your stuff before moving back how did you go about it? Are we best sticking with e-bay, or should we try gum tree or garage sales. I haven't a clue where to start.

Any advice would be greatly apreciated.

Many thanks

Madge

Garage sales! Where are you based? Thanks

Guest Madge

Hi there

Thanks to everyone for their replies so far, we are in Melbourne.

Have had quite a reasonable quote for shipping it over too now so still not sure what we are doing yet but I have booked the flights and am feeling much happier, just need to tell work now!

Madge x

Guest Count Zero

We sold our stuff by garage sale. Most of it went by midday on the first day and we had people knocking on the door at 6am it was like a swarm of locusts. Advertise it in the local paper and put some signs up at the local shops.

Guest itskaren
Hi there

Thanks to everyone for their replies so far, we are in Melbourne.

Have had quite a reasonable quote for shipping it over too now so still not sure what we are doing yet but I have booked the flights and am feeling much happier, just need to tell work now!

Madge x

Hi Madge

We live in the Eastern side of Melbourne. If you do intend to sell I would be interested in buying a job lot? Let me know. Karen

Archived