Settling In

jessiegirl

Hi, my name is Jessica, I’ve been in Gold Coast now 3months.

We’re here on a resident return visa .

lived in Melbourne 8yrs.

Been living in Uk 6years & decided to come to Gold Coast. Husband has a couple of friends here too,& was able to offer a job.

Im here with my 17yr old daughter. My son Jordan who will be 19 in January wanted to stay in Uk as he has a great job, big social network of friends & lives the gym. Had to respect his wishes to stay.😢

My daughter has got herself a little job at a cafe & I have a casual role at Kmart til January.

I like the gym & looking forward to a new gym in Coomera opening, haven’t worked out 4mnths now & it’s driving me crazy 🤪.

I really want this to work as we’ve put a lot of blood,sweat,tears & of course money into this,I’m 47 & hubby 53 so don’t have luxury of time to ‘boomerang’ go back & fourth. 

I had a job,gym,friends, a routine & sometimes have that feeling....Have we done the right thing. 

I’m hoping time & a routine more shift (if lucky) will help me feel more positive.

would love to hear from anyone in similar situation or just to make new friends would be a bonus 😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jessiegirl said:

Hi, my name is Jessica, I’ve been in Gold Coast now 3months.

We’re here on a resident return visa .

lived in Melbourne 8yrs.

Been living in Uk 6years & decided to come to Gold Coast. Husband has a couple of friends here too,& was able to offer a job.

Im here with my 17yr old daughter. My son Jordan who will be 19 in January wanted to stay in Uk as he has a great job, big social network of friends & lives the gym. Had to respect his wishes to stay.😢

My daughter has got herself a little job at a cafe & I have a casual role at Kmart til January.

I like the gym & looking forward to a new gym in Coomera opening, haven’t worked out 4mnths now & it’s driving me crazy 🤪.

I really want this to work as we’ve put a lot of blood,sweat,tears & of course money into this,I’m 47 & hubby 53 so don’t have luxury of time to ‘boomerang’ go back & fourth. 

I had a job,gym,friends, a routine & sometimes have that feeling....Have we done the right thing. 

I’m hoping time & a routine more shift (if lucky) will help me feel more positive.

would love to hear from anyone in similar situation or just to make new friends would be a bonus 😊

Join a surf club and you'll have friends a plenty, healthy lifestyle and a gym thrown in for free, once you have your bronze.

I think you'll find every surf club has a very active "seniors and masters"  contingent. I'm 64 and there are loads of people 30 up, when you enter masters comps, to older than me. We also do triathlons, mountain and road bike riding as well as all the disciplines involved in SLS. 

If you go down on Sunday mornings to our club you would see heaps of youngsters about as that's the day when they are in age groups with their coaches. 

Ask at any club who you need to talk to to find out about masters training and they'll point you in the right direction.

4 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

I think you'll find every surf club has a very active "seniors and masters"  contingent. I'm 64 and there are loads of people 30 up, when you enter masters comps, to older than me. We also do triathlons, mountain and road bike riding as well as all the disciplines involved in SLS. 

If you go down on Sunday mornings to our club you would see heaps of youngsters about as that's the day when they are in age groups with their coaches. 

Ask at any club who you need to talk to to find out about masters training and they'll point you in the right direction.

Funny you mention masters, i had a team of adult 'gymnasts' compete at one of the QLD Masters comps this year and am hoping to turn it into a yearly event . Some of them had never done gymnastics before (but were pretty fit) and had only been training a few months. Its a great idea for adults who want some encouragement to stay a fit.A friend of ours from Scotland does the Masters Body building comps, they love doing them.

Jessiegirl if you fancy gymnastics one of the adults comes from Coomera way, we are about 35 mins drive and they train most Saturday afternoons although starting to wind down for the year now. Definately try to join some sort of group, they are great ways to make friends and i don't think you will properly settled until you have a few friends to chat and laugh with.

Cal x

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi,

also on a Resident visa from the uk. We lived in Brisbane for 5 years and now been in Sunshine coast 8 weeks. Have 17 year old daughter, 19 year old son are both with us. We are in the same situation gotta make this work !!! We both start jobs in january so going through same thing totally.  Hoping once working it will all fall into place. Im struggling at the min with missing friends so i know i have got to get myself out there, dont know where to start..  

Hi Debs,

Wow. It’s sounds like we’re in the similar situation.At least you have both children out here. That’s great that you have a job to start too.

Ive really struggled with finding work.One place I tried, they replied saying they had over 22,000 applications.

I literally work 6-9 hours a week, it’s just not enough,but that’s all I can get.

What line of work are you in ?,is it part time or full time ?

Jessica