Current cost of living in Perth

jobolt

19 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Not quite true. There are tax advantages to making a loss on paper, but you achieve that with depreciation allowances. You’d be mad to buy an investment property that’s making a real loss, because the tax savings wouldn’t be enough to compensate

Most people rely on long term capital gains. Generally there are two types of landlord. Those living off the rent, and those looking for a capital gains. They tend to let very different types of property.

41 minutes ago, newjez said:

Most people rely on long term capital gains. Generally there are two types of landlord. Those living off the rent, and those looking for a capital gains. They tend to let very different types of property.

Of course the capital gains are an important part of it, but I wonder how many people are making a real loss on the rent, and relying entirely on capital gains?   I can see how that would have worked well in recent years while the market's been going crazy, but it wouldn't be wise for anyone to invest on that basis now, for instance.

I had investment properties for many years.  I made a profit from the rent on every single one of them.  When it came time to submit my tax return, I was able to claim a loss on every single one of them - to the point where I got all my PAYE tax (on my salary) refunded some years.  Purely because of the way the depreciation laws work here.

• Like 1