Current cost of living in Perth

jobolt

Hi, we will be moving to Perth by the end of January.  Obviously we have done a lot of research, but I wondered if you lovely lot could give some guidance on the current cost of living out there.  What utilities can we be expecting to pay for a 3 bedroom house (approx. area: Jandakot/surrounding suburbs) ? How does it work with car insurance, does your no claims bonus from the UK count for anything? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tia.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @jobolt are you on our sister forum www.perthpoms.com there are lots who live in Perth on there who can give you a breakdown. It’s a smaller forum so posts don’t get missed like they do on here.

Also have a look in our article directory https://www.pomsinoz.com/articles.html/living-in-australia/

I can give you figures for our utilities but having lived in Victoria, Far North Queensland and an hour and thirty mins outside of Brisbane we have found this changes dramatically depending on your area. 

‘I can help more with your car insurance. Yes your no claims is transferable. I haven’t heard of anyone being asked but if you have a No Claims Certificate I would bring it with you. We all know what insurance companies are like when it comes to paying out.

Also with car insurance get multiple quotes. It is no exaggeration when I say you can save up to $400 a year, obviously depending on car and policy, some premiums may only be $400 or less a year.

We have mainly stayed with AAMI, it’s owned by Suncorp. When my renewal came up I checked Suncorp and checked AAMI online and AAMI came up cheaper. I hadn’t got around to renewing and had to ring Suncorp up about something unrelated and they asked re car insurance I told them I was with AAMi. Anyway to cut a long story short they reduced their online price by $200 which brought them in cheaper than everyone else. So I recommend playing one off against the other and calling.

Hi Pom Queen, thanks for the reply.  I didn't know about the perth poms page I will join that now:)

I'm always changing our insurance every year and other utilities for the best deal so I'm used to shopping around.

Do you have any recommendations for health insurance?

Guest The Pom Queen
5 hours ago, jobolt said:

Hi Pom Queen, thanks for the reply.  I didn't know about the perth poms page I will join that now:)

I'm always changing our insurance every year and other utilities for the best deal so I'm used to shopping around.

Health Insurance is usually around the same. We pay a family policy with budget hospital and silver extras and it’s just over $400 a month. Personally if it wasn’t for my health we wouldn’t have taken it out as the boys don’t use it. 

7 hours ago, jobolt said:

HIF is a health insurance fund in WA so ask them for a quote as well as Medibank and HBF.

Hi, we will be moving to Perth by the end of January.  Obviously we have done a lot of research, but I wondered if you lovely lot could give some guidance on the current cost of living out there.  What utilities can we be expecting to pay for a 3 bedroom house (approx. area: Jandakot/surrounding suburbs) ? How does it work with car insurance, does your no claims bonus from the UK count for anything? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tia.

Hi

I live in Perth and can tell you what we pay

1. Utility bills electricity gas and water they bill quarterly synergy is the supplier for electricity and for gas there are few suppliers Alinta, kleenheat and simple energy (newest one) we live in a 3x2

2. Our car is insured with RAC I think they are the biggest insurance company in Western Australia and you can get lot of other member benefits. In addition we have a road side assistance

Hope this helps to some extent [emoji106]

Two dogs. You tend to get a discount for >1.

We have always had the pool so I don't know any different. It is on 6 hours a day so I guess it is expensive. I BPAY $75/80 to Synergy (Leccy Board)  every fortnight when I get paid and that takes care of it. Usually a touch in credit.

We don't have kids so the pool doesn't even get used.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, can1983 said:

? what do you do rent it to yourselves to negatively gear. I thought they banned that!

No, I mean we repay over a much shorter period. The monthly figure makes the house look very expensive, it isn't, it's just a shorter repayment period.

5 minutes ago, s713 said:

No, I mean we repay over a much shorter period. The monthly figure makes the house look very expensive, it isn't, it's just a shorter repayment period.

ha ha yeah sorry that was the obvious reason I completely missed I must be devious in nature 🤣

• Haha 1

As said, if you own your home there are council rates like there are in the UK. Renting, no. Ours are $2,100 pa.

So renters dont pay rates for the property they are renting? I would imagine owners would add the rate charges to the rent amount to cover themselves?

8 minutes ago, Bran said:

So renters dont pay rates for the property they are renting? I would imagine owners would add the rate charges to the rent amount to cover themselves?

Well yes, if they can they will pass on all expenses. But it's unusual for landlords to profit from a mortgaged rental property, as there are tax advantages to making a loss.

2 hours ago, newjez said:

Well yes, if they can they will pass on all expenses. But it's unusual for landlords to profit from a mortgaged rental property, as there are tax advantages to making a loss.

Not quite true. There are tax advantages to making a loss on paper, but you achieve that with depreciation allowances. You’d be mad to buy an investment property that’s making a real loss, because the tax savings wouldn’t be enough to compensate

47 minutes ago, benj1980 said:

When you are renting, it's common for our water to be partially paid by the Landlord as well to cover retic. I thought my Landlord was being very kind to realise that it was a well used/known practice!

Not always. We pay the water rates on our investment property but the tenants pay for water useage.