Aged parent visa 804

Kenneth Wragg

We are visiting our only Australian Citizen daughter in December and want to extend our tourist visa, we need to ship our effects but can’t do this until a visa has been granted can anyone tell us how long this will take to get this extension and is there a way of shipping our effects, we have a Visa Agent in Adelaide who will be handling our Visa application, any help would be appreciated.

k.G.Wragg.

Some people do arrive on a tourist visa, pretending they're coming on holiday, then apply for the Aged Parent Visa once they arrive in Australia.  It's a risky option because you will be given only a Bridging Visa while you wait for the Aged Parent Visa to be processed, and while you are on a Bridging Visa, you have no status.

On the Bridging Visa you will remain a non-resident of Australia, meaning you are not eligible for any benefits available to a resident.  There are restrictions on buying property.  You will be able to access the public health system (Medicare) but only for essential treatment, you will have to pay the full cost of any "elective" surgery.  

After six months you will cease to be a resident of the UK which means you will lose access to the NHS. So if you needed an "elective" operation and can't afford it in Australia, you couldn't just fly home and have it done in the UK, you would be charged full fees as a foreigner even though you are a UK citizen. 

I hope you're aware your UK pension will be frozen at its current level for the rest of your life, even once you've been awarded the Aged Parents' Visa.

Hello Kenneth.

Your migration agent should have advised you regarding Bridging Visas, when they are granted, when they come into effect, and how these work (eg the difference between a Bridging Visa A and a Bridging Visa B).

Clients of mine have noted that once a BVA has been granted they are usually able to ship their belongings to Australia.

Best regards.

14 hours ago, Kenneth Wragg said:

Hello Alan.

Your Email was appreciated, regarding the bridging Visa, don’t know if you can answer but how long will a bridging Visa take? We are both senior citizens, our only daughter is a Australian Citizen, and we hope to live near her in Mount Barker Adelaide.

Kindest Regards.

K.G.Wragg.

As you are using an agent it is probably best to ask them all these questions. They should be looking after you and keeping you up to date.  From what you've said you are visiting your daughter so it sounds like you are going on a tourist visa. I don't think you can ship your items over if on a tourist visa as you are just on holiday. If you apply for an aged parent visa and get a bridging visa then I think you can then but really best to touch base with your agent. Good luck 

I would second what Tulip1 says.  We are all happy to help, but we are only amateurs. If you are paying an agent, you have access to an expert. 

When you engage an agent, you are not just paying them to fill out the paperwork.  You are paying them to advise you on your best pathway, warn you of all the potential pitfalls, and guide you through the process.  You are entitled to bombard them with questions, it's their job to answer them. 

If the agent is MARA registered and from a reputable company, they are the best qualified to assist you .

Edited by Marisawright

20 hours ago, Kenneth Wragg said:

Hello Alan.

Your Email was appreciated, regarding the bridging Visa, don’t know if you can answer but how long will a bridging Visa take? We are both senior citizens, our only daughter is a Australian Citizen, and we hope to live near her in Mount Barker Adelaide.

Kindest Regards.

K.G.Wragg.

I would be happy to advise you, but as I am a registered migration agent ethically I ought not if you have appointed another migration agent already.

Best regards.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone one . My mum in visa 804 . And the immigration gave her a visa to go to her country for 1 year. And the time will be finish. And mum doesn’t want to come on the time. Is there any way to protect the visa. And get Medicare and permanent. Or another way to get a new visa.