Driving test in the UK...

Coops13

Morning all...

My daughter has just turned 18 and is keen to get her driving licence and is considering the possibility of going through one of the intensive course whilst on holiday in the UK which would remove the need for the 120 hrs  of log book work here.

Has anyone considered this option and see any roadblocks with it (excuse the pun)

Thanks in advances.

Getting a licence in the UK. without having an address maybe. 

Check in your state if a new licence can be exchanged. In SA certainly a full uk (not provisional) can be exchanged for a full Aus licence no matter how long it has been held. I never assume all states are the same though!

The intensive courses are good though. Both mine did them and passed first time. She will need to sit a theory test I think to apply for the provisional license. Thing is getting the licenses both provisional and full can take a while. How long will she be in the UK?

It's a good idea.  If you can fit it in, go for it.

But be aware intensive courses are good for leaning how to pass the test but don't confuse them with learning how to drive? 
Learning to drive is going to take time and practice.

Edited by unzippy
  • Like 2

The online application for provisional licences has a section on eligibility where it states that you must be resident in the UK - by that they mean live in the UK for at least half a year.  Apparently they ask for addresses you've lived at for the last 3 years and your NI number to speed up identity, though it's a bit vague as to whether they ask for proof of current residency in the UK - that sort of thing would likely be flagged by the identity check.  This is a screenshot of the bit that might prove sticky for her:

image.png.59cb740a9d960d2805e4bd1294c9e065.png

Thanks all.  Her mother lives in the UK so we should be able to sort something to cover the residency part of things and she's going to be in the UK for around 8 - 10 weeks so we should be OK with the timings.

Agree completely about the passing a test doesn't mean you can drive and she would be on Red P's in Victoria given the rules here which is fine by me.

Thanks again and am just spit balling ideas at the moment....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Coops13 said:

Thanks all.  Her mother lives in the UK so we should be able to sort something to cover the residency part of things and she's going to be in the UK for around 8 - 10 weeks so we should be OK with the timings.

Agree completely about the passing a test doesn't mean you can drive and she would be on Red P's in Victoria given the rules here which is fine by me.

Thanks again and am just spit balling ideas at the moment....

If she doesn't live with her mother how are you going to sort something out regarding residency?  Staying with her for 8-10 weeks doesn't make her a resident, it makes her someone visiting her mother for a few months. You said yourself that she will be here on holiday visiting her mother but she resides in Victoria. She therefore doesn't qualify for a UK driving license. 

Edited by Tulip1