Question about US work and holiday visa, chances with a misdemeanor

NAD0510

Hello everyone, 

I just signed up for this site because I have been seriously wondering about this for a long time.

I really want to apply for the 462 US work and holiday visa, however, I do have a misdemeanor criminal conviction. 

It is completely my fault, I shift no blame, nor would I ever lie on the visa application but I would like to have some opinions from people on this forum. 

I am a 22 year old US citizen and around 2 years ago I recieved a misdemeanor because I was in posession of a prescription drug (I did have a presrcription from Mexico, however it doesnt work here in the US.. I was trying to self medicate at the time (which is not an excuse whatsoever) and so I have a misdemeanor on my record with NO time served at all. I do have 3 years summary probation however. This type of informal probation, just in case someone doesnt know, doesnt really mean much ( i mean it does, but it doesnt affect my daily life at all). I dont have a probation officer, I dont have to check in with one, they dont check in with me, it's not really anything that affects my life in any way. I sometimes forget that I do have probation. Just means that I cant get into any trouble, which I havent, nor do I intend to. 

Im wondering what my chances are on the Work and Holiday visa? Do i pretty much have no chance or what do you guys think? 

I'm just really nervous as I am really obsessed with getting this visa and being able to go to AUS. I 100% regret this stupid mistake that has plagued my past and I want to be hopeful but I dont know how strict the whole thing is. 

Any advice/information from you guys is very greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

2 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

If you are still on probation are you allowed to leave the country?

Yes. In fact, I just backpacked around Europe for about 3 months. That's what I mean about "informal probation." I honestly just think it means "don't get into any trouble" during this period of time. I dont even have to notify anyone that I'm leaving the country. I'm allowed to come and go as I please.

Thank you for your reply

2 hours ago, digitalis said:

Not gunna lie, if you declare it i'd say there is a fair chance you won't get one. Especially given how it relates to prescription drugs......

Ok so I shouldnt even apply... I cant blame anyone but myself for ruining my chance

• Like 1

On 02/09/2018 at 04:19, NAD0510 said:

Hello everyone, 

I just signed up for this site because I have been seriously wondering about this for a long time.

I really want to apply for the 462 US work and holiday visa, however, I do have a misdemeanor criminal conviction. 

It is completely my fault, I shift no blame, nor would I ever lie on the visa application but I would like to have some opinions from people on this forum. 

I am a 22 year old US citizen and around 2 years ago I recieved a misdemeanor because I was in posession of a prescription drug (I did have a presrcription from Mexico, however it doesnt work here in the US.. I was trying to self medicate at the time (which is not an excuse whatsoever) and so I have a misdemeanor on my record with NO time served at all. I do have 3 years summary probation however. This type of informal probation, just in case someone doesnt know, doesnt really mean much ( i mean it does, but it doesnt affect my daily life at all). I dont have a probation officer, I dont have to check in with one, they dont check in with me, it's not really anything that affects my life in any way. I sometimes forget that I do have probation. Just means that I cant get into any trouble, which I havent, nor do I intend to. 

Im wondering what my chances are on the Work and Holiday visa? Do i pretty much have no chance or what do you guys think? 

I'm just really nervous as I am really obsessed with getting this visa and being able to go to AUS. I 100% regret this stupid mistake that has plagued my past and I want to be hopeful but I dont know how strict the whole thing is. 

Any advice/information from you guys is very greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

The first step would be to order your US Police Clearance so you know exactly what you are dealing with. Until you have the specific details of the charge as noted on the Police Clearance,  you are simply playing a guessing game.

Once you have the Police clearance, consult a Registered Migration Agent for an opinion and assistance.