Registered Nurse Jobs Sunshine Coast

bigfishybob

I've searched a few times (via smartjobs.qld.gov.au) over the last couple of months on the SCHHS Vacancies for Registered Nurse positions and there seems to be very limited opportunities.   Currently only showing some Casual Nursing Pool availability.  Is this a fair reflection of availability?  I thought there might be more considering SC Uni Hospital is a decent size hospital and fairly new.

Is this the best site to be searching in the Sunshine Coast region?  Any other recommendations appreciated.

Also, regarding private vs public hospitals...

My wife has generally been quite anti working in private hospitals in the UK.  Clearly, the setup is a fair bit different in Aus.  Is there a great deal of difference between the two in Aus vs the UK?

Regards

BFB

1 hour ago, bigfishybob said:

I've searched a few times (via smartjobs.qld.gov.au) over the last couple of months on the SCHHS Vacancies for Registered Nurse positions and there seems to be very limited opportunities.   Currently only showing some Casual Nursing Pool availability.  Is this a fair reflection of availability?  I thought there might be more considering SC Uni Hospital is a decent size hospital and fairly new.

Is this the best site to be searching in the Sunshine Coast region?  Any other recommendations appreciated.

Also, regarding private vs public hospitals...

My wife has generally been quite anti working in private hospitals in the UK.  Clearly, the setup is a fair bit different in Aus.  Is there a great deal of difference between the two in Aus vs the UK?

Regards

BFB

A lot of the posts - the majority if fact, at the Sunshine Coast Hospital went to sraff moving from the other hospitals that the SCH was replacing, And with not a great deal of options for nurses on the coast, posts aren't likely to come up that often. 

Smartjobs is probably the best site for permanent posts, but try contacting some nursing agencies as well. 

If the Sunshine Coast is where you know you will definitely be moving to and your wife has worked in a particular speciality, my advice would be to search and see if you can find the Nurse Unit Manager contact details and send a chatty e-mail with her CV to them - you have nothing to lose.  I did that before we came out, albeit over 10 years ago and had some great responses from managers.  They may not have a job then, but they may communicate if there is a temporary position or something coming up or can even provide some suggestions.

Good luck, Elena

I have no knowledge of positions for nurses on the Sunshine Coast, but I do live there. The new hospital in Kawana  didn’t replace the hospital at Nambour it’s still open. There is a hospital in Caloundra, these are public hospitals. There is a fairly Large private hospital in Buderim and also one next to the new hospital. I have unfortunately been in both the new public and private hospital and chatting to the nurses, there are a fair few British nurses, and others who moved from other hospitals, part of threason was to live on the Sunshine Coast.

Thanks for your replies.

Elena (bruce 7) - Based on our recent visit, the Sunshine Coast would be our preferred destination.  Though that is dependent on the availability of work - primarily for my wife - and having a reasonable degree of confidence in being able to securing a position, if not prior to arriving, then shortly after.  We have been in contact with HR, but they said to just send in a CV and cover letter.  I think the recommendation to try and make direct contact with an NUM is a good one and we will definitely give this a go.

ramot - I will check out some of the hospitals you've mentioned.  How did you find working in the private sector vs public sector?  

Regarding Casual positions - this sounds like there is no guarantee of work.  Anybody have any experience/knowledge of this?  Whilst not ideal, this seems like it might be a option short term to provide some income (possibly combined with other work e.g. agency), gain experience working in various department and making some contacts, with a view to finding more permanent opportunities. 

Regards

BFB

14 hours ago, bigfishybob said:

Thanks for your replies.

Elena (bruce 7) - Based on our recent visit, the Sunshine Coast would be our preferred destination.  Though that is dependent on the availability of work - primarily for my wife - and having a reasonable degree of confidence in being able to securing a position, if not prior to arriving, then shortly after.  We have been in contact with HR, but they said to just send in a CV and cover letter.  I think the recommendation to try and make direct contact with an NUM is a good one and we will definitely give this a go.

ramot - I will check out some of the hospitals you've mentioned.  How did you find working in the private sector vs public sector?  

Regarding Casual positions - this sounds like there is no guarantee of work.  Anybody have any experience/knowledge of this?  Whilst not ideal, this seems like it might be a option short term to provide some income (possibly combined with other work e.g. agency), gain experience working in various department and making some contacts, with a view to finding more permanent opportunities. 

Regards

BFB

Sorry if I wasn’t clear, I only replied because I live on the Coast and have been in hospital recently. As I mentioned I have no idea about the availability of jobs. I am retired and never worked in any medical capacity.

i can recommend the Sunshine Coast though, good luck.

• 1 month later...

I'm up in FNQ.  The casual pool is a good foot in the door.  Certainly, up here Qld health don't seem to start off with permanent positions.  In my experience, I just went into the hospital and asked re jobs. I saw the director of nursing, she took me on as casual. I then got temporary contracts and after a few months was offered a permanent position. It seems to be the way here. 

• Thanks 1

It was the odd shift here and there initially.  A bit sporadic. It was probably a couple of months  and then I got a temp contract. That was about 32 hours a week. I joined an agency aswell and got quite a bit of regular work with them.  If there is any smaller public hospitals near you try them aswell. Good luck with it and it will all fall into place. 

• Thanks 1