Tax when leaving

paulswin

So we're hopefully moving back in September but not sure what to do about my tax I'm employed and was going to do my end of year return now but am working up until we leave so anyone know if I can go in H & R block and file the end of year and sort out July, Aug and Sept tax that I will have paid or will I have to file one next year when I'm back in UK  

I’m no expert but I think you have to do one next year. Presumably so that should you come back or have other Australian income to declare you aren’t filing multiple returns every time you think you are gone for good! Uniformity for the ATO.

Others will be able to confirm but that’s my understanding.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, paulswin said:

That's what I thought Amber but was hoping I'd be able to get it all done rather than 9 months later filling another end of year tax form Grrrrrrr!!!!  

I have reminders in my calender for this sort of thing as no way I’d remember that far into the future! ? Australia feels like a distant memory already.

• Like 1

Yes, you'll need to do a tax return for the next year.  We arrived back in the UK last September, and are just getting the paperwork together to do our 2017/18 returns.  It's a bit of a pain, but I'm actually looking forwards to having it done.  It'll feel like a line has been drawn under Australia and we can stop worrying about the things that need to be completed.  Like Amber Snowball, Australia seems like a distant memory, it's all faded and I can't quite believe we lived there for so long.  Very happy to be back ?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, paulswin said:

So we're hopefully moving back in September but not sure what to do about my tax I'm employed and was going to do my end of year return now but am working up until we leave so anyone know if I can go in H & R block and file the end of year and sort out July, Aug and Sept tax that I will have paid or will I have to file one next year when I'm back in UK  

We left in March last year and did our tax return at H & R Block before we left. They lodged it at the ATO but we didn’t get our refund until after the end of the tax year as normal. Make an appointment for a few days before you leave and then you can get it all sorted. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Martinbjulieb said:

We left in March last year and did our tax return at H & R Block before we left. They lodged it at the ATO but we didn’t get our refund until after the end of the tax year as normal. Make an appointment for a few days before you leave and then you can get it all sorted. 

Cheers hopefully they'll do that for me so I don't have to remember a year later!!!

I'm not a fan of the h&r block type accountants ( I used them early on when we first got here years ago ) and they were mediocre ( seemed to be full of newly qualified student accountants who were very inexperienced ) but maybe I was unlucky. 

We now use a small accountant practice in duncraig, get the same person every year and they are very knowledgeable and reasonably priced ( as long as you are organised)

Its a long time ago (15yrs ish) but I remember when we returned to the uk/europe for a few years and had to do the same thing, we just did all the paperwork for the next financial year and then the accountant simply lodged it in the 1st week of July the following year.

Dont forget to tick the box that states it's your final tax return.

Edited by Wa7