489 Family Sponsored Visa

Hello, 

Go gently on me, I'm new. ?

So moving to Australia has been on my mind for many, many years, and only now am I going to get off my behind and do something about it. Basically, my wife decided she can actually cope with spiders. ?

So, our situation is, I'm 46, lead software developer, but not degree-educated. My wife is 39, has a degree and an MBA and is a marketing manager. We have two primary school-age kids. Looking to move to the Melbourne area.

I know under the new rules I've aged out to be the main applicant, plus, with no degree I would have had to go through the excruciating ACS RPL process. So it seems easier for my wife to be lead applicant and for me and the kids to apply as accompanying family, since she has the qualifications and experience, and is under 40. I also have a first cousin in Australia who is a citizen and who'd be prepared to sponsor us for a 489. It seems that's pretty much our only route at this point.

There's money in the bank, everyone's health is OK, and there's no criminal records or anything to worry about. 

So, a couple of questions: 

1) What responsibilities would my cousin have as a sponsor?

2) Does this all sound pretty far-fetched, or do you, in your collective wisdom, think is this actually feasible? 

Thanking all of you in advance.

I'd suggest you speak with a migration agent to see what options you may have.  For a family-sponsored 489, your wife's occupation would need to be on the MLTSSL, which it isn't.  Sales & Marketing Manager is on the short-term list which would require a state/territory nomination.  I'm not sure which states/territories may be sponsoring Marketing Managers but many have additional criteria like high points or history of living in that state/territory.  A migration agent can help weed through the options or you may want to expand your research to look at the state lists.

9 minutes ago, MaggieMay24 said:

I'd suggest you speak with a migration agent to see what options you may have.  For a family-sponsored 489, your wife's occupation would need to be on the MLTSSL, which it isn't.  Sales & Marketing Manager is on the short-term list which would require a state/territory nomination.  I'm not sure which states/territories may be sponsoring Marketing Managers but many have additional criteria like high points or history of living in that state/territory.  A migration agent can help weed through the options or you may want to expand your research to look at the state lists.

Annoyingly, it's not on Victoria's list. Gr. It is on the ACT one, but Canberra isn't all that appealing. Not so much work for me, for a start. Might be a way in though, so that's something to think about. 

OK, I'll find a MARA agent to talk to, and see what they can come back with. 

9 hours ago, DaddyStoat said:

Annoyingly, it's not on Victoria's list. Gr. It is on the ACT one, but Canberra isn't all that appealing. Not so much work for me, for a start. Might be a way in though, so that's something to think about. 

OK, I'll find a MARA agent to talk to, and see what they can come back with. 

You'd be surprised about Canberra. Maybe not as appealing as Melbourne, but you would probably find work there without issue. Most of the fed government departments are there as well as the Narional Museum, Archives, etc and the state government of course, and with the Digital Continuity 2020 strategy for government, there will be increased need to have skilled IT staff to implement such strategies moving forward. Do some further research. And it would be a way in, which in your 40s with a family, only PR will do as a temp visa would be so much upheaval for lots of uncertainty for the future. You can always move to Melb in the future once you've served your time in ACT.  Lots to think about. Good luck.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Beffers said:

You'd be surprised about Canberra. Maybe not as appealing as Melbourne, but you would probably find work there without issue. Most of the fed government departments are there as well as the Narional Museum, Archives, etc and the state government of course, and with the Digital Continuity 2020 strategy for government, there will be increased need to have skilled IT staff to implement such strategies moving forward. Do some further research. And it would be a way in, which in your 40s with a family, only PR will do as a temp visa would be so much upheaval for lots of uncertainty for the future. You can always move to Melb in the future once you've served your time in ACT.  Lots to think about. Good luck.

Here's a question - how strictly do they enforce the state sponsorship thing? I've heard different opinions, from "not at all" to "don't even think about moving elsewhere" to "we're not allowed to talk about that". 

6 minutes ago, DaddyStoat said:

Here's a question - how strictly do they enforce the state sponsorship thing? I've heard different opinions, from "not at all" to "don't even think about moving elsewhere" to "we're not allowed to talk about that". 

It depends on the visa. If it’s a provisional visa requiring regional residence and work then they’re 100% strictly enforced. If it’s a state sponsored permanent visa then the obligation (at the moment) is moral but that’s not to say that they might change their minds down the track because the states are getting a tad ticked off that their good will is being abused - both the state that sponsors and the big cities that are getting the influx. The 489 is a provisional visa so they check that you’ve followed the conditions to the letter before you can move to the next step. If you haven’t, then you are invited to leave the country.

As for working in Canberra, I’m afraid I would tend to respectfully disagree with Beffers. IT bods are ten a penny and the biggest employer in town requires citizenship for permanent work. Local government just requires PR but there’s a pretty big pool of talent available locally. Also, if you’re 46 now, you’re rushing headlong into the “too old” category, not quite there yet but over 50 unless you’ve got a good network it gets exponentially tougher to crack something good and permanent unless you have a skill set that they are crying out for.  However, nothing else wrong with Canberra, it’s as good a place as any.

• Like 1

On 10/07/2018 at 08:18, Quoll said:

It depends on the visa. If it’s a provisional visa requiring regional residence and work then they’re 100% strictly enforced. If it’s a state sponsored permanent visa then the obligation (at the moment) is moral but that’s not to say that they might change their minds down the track because the states are getting a tad ticked off that their good will is being abused - both the state that sponsors and the big cities that are getting the influx. The 489 is a provisional visa so they check that you’ve followed the conditions to the letter before you can move to the next step. If you haven’t, then you are invited to leave the country.

As for working in Canberra, I’m afraid I would tend to respectfully disagree with Beffers. IT bods are ten a penny and the biggest employer in town requires citizenship for permanent work. Local government just requires PR but there’s a pretty big pool of talent available locally. Also, if you’re 46 now, you’re rushing headlong into the “too old” category, not quite there yet but over 50 unless you’ve got a good network it gets exponentially tougher to crack something good and permanent unless you have a skill set that they are crying out for.  However, nothing else wrong with Canberra, it’s as good a place as any.

That's pretty much what I figured. Most of the jobs there will be working for one or other branch of the government, which would require citizenship, and that would count me out for most of them. 

Anyway, I've sent a MARA agent an email, so let's wait and see what they come back with. Feeling a bit deflated, so hoping it's good news. I need some after the football result today. ?