457 to 820 visa route

Hi all, 

My partner is currently on a 457 visa which expires November 2019. We have just lodged an 820 defacto partner application, with me sponsoring her (I'm on a 189 visa). Although she doesn't have any serious issues with her current employer we are living in a different state to her family and we want to move closer to them. We are both very keen to move soon, hopefully in the next 4-6 months which would mean cancelling the 457 and going onto a bridging visa somehow.

What are our options regarding her visa route? We did have someone suggest applying for a short 600 tourist visa (say 1 week) to legitimately 'cancel' her 457, and then, when that 600 visa expired she would go onto the BVA associated with the 820 application. Is this a route anyone is familiar with?

Just cancelling her current 457 isn't an option because given the processing times she doesn't want to be on BVE.  

She could look for another company to sponsor her, but would rather not be attached to another company if possible.

We really don't want to stay in our current situation for another 16 months.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

AFAIK, the bridging visa she was issued links her 457 to the 820.  If she applies for a 600 visa, I believe this severs the link with the Bridging visa.  So she'd end up on a 600 visa that will expire and she would have nothing allowing her to remain in Australia.

1 hour ago, MaggieMay24 said:

The bridging visa links (bridges) the visa currently held (457) to the visa being applied for (820).  As soon as one end of that bridge vanishes, so does the bridging visa.

I'm pretty sure that is not right, if it was a bridging visa would be pointless as you would always have a visa (457 or 820). 

The Home Affairs website describes a BVA as " A Bridging visa A (BVA) is a temporary visa. It allows you to stay in Australia after your current substantive visa ceases and while your substantive visa application is being processed. It can be granted if you lodge an application in Australia for a substantive visa while you still hold a substantive visa."

7 hours ago, ExperienceIt said:

Welljock - that is how we understand it too. The question is - how do we 'cease' her 457?

You can't.

Well, not without losing the Bridging visa.

Until the 457 expires ( reaches its end date) she remains on that. When the 457 expires the Bridging Visa takes over until the decision is made on the 820.

If the 457 is cancelled (rather than just expiring) then there is NO right to a bridging visa and she ceases to hold a valid visa until the 820 is granted,  unless she applies for something else. The Bridging Visa is only there to cover the period from the expiry date of the 457 until the decision on the 820.