Newly qualified nursing in Australia

AimeeG

Hey!

I don't know if anyone can help me but I am currently undertaking my nursing degree and will qualify in June 2019. I have always wanted to relocate to Australia (specifically Melbourne) and would really like to do this once qualified. I would like to know if Australia accepts newly qualified nurses without experience or whether you have to have experience before they will give you a job. If anyone has an idea on how I could get a job as soon as I am qualified I would be grateful :-) thanks! 

Just to add that new grads here can struggle to get jobs, so some experience under your belt would be beneficial whether it is a visa requirement or not. Australia doesn’t have the level of nursing shortages that the UK does. Check out seek.com.au for jobs you may be interested in. They should give some idea what employers are looking for as well as indicate number of vacancies in any given area.

Good luck with the rest of your studies. 

5 hours ago, AimeeG said:

Hey!

I don't know if anyone can help me but I am currently undertaking my nursing degree and will qualify in June 2019. I have always wanted to relocate to Australia (specifically Melbourne) and would really like to do this once qualified. I would like to know if Australia accepts newly qualified nurses without experience or whether you have to have experience before they will give you a job. If anyone has an idea on how I could get a job as soon as I am qualified I would be grateful ? thanks! 

Hello,

To register as a nurse in Australia-AHPRA require minimum 3 months full time work experience post-registration.

To apply for a skills assessment for a skilled visa - ANMAC require minimum 3 months full time work experience post-registration to be deemed suitable for skilled migration.

You may struggle to get a full-time job without any work experience as you will be competing with newly qualified Australian graduates. You can always try registering with a nursing agency.

good luck with your course ?

Edited by PsychNurse
More info
  • Like 1