Dog stress

Phil1712

Hi we have just started the process to obtain 189 visa. 

We have a cavachon who Is  just under a year old, and was wondering if we should take him?. 

We don't like the idea that he will be in quarantine for 10 days once he arrives, and we don't get to see him when he lands. We are looking to settle in Perth, but my understanding is there is no quarantine centres there, so he will need to travel again once quarantine is over. We don't really want to put him through all that stress. But we really don't want to leave him behind.

Is there anyone that can advise us on the process. Any advice would be appreciated.

If he is fit and well and you want him with you, take him. It’s less than 2weeks away from you. They take good care of them in quarantine. Talk to @BobPetairUK. He is a vet and will be able to advise.

I moved my dog here 13 years ago when it was a month in quarantine and I’m about to move a diabetic cat back to the UK. 

I think we possibly place our human emotions and processing of situations onto our animals, I know I do! 

I’m naturally concerned about the cat but am working closely with my vet to get him as well prepped as possible.

Good luck with your move.

I am unsure what a cavachon is. A cross breed of a cavalier and a bichon? 

Many dogs get shipped into Australia each year and spend 10 days in quarantine. You are putting your human emotions onto your dog. They don't have the thought processes, do not know what is ahead as we do and are very much live in the moment. So try not to do that or to overthink it on their behalf as they really won't feel what you are feeling. 

Your dog, unless its a dog that gets stressed easily, would probably cope fine. Sure its not the greatest way to spend 10 days but people put their dogs into kennels for a 2 week holiday and don't think anything of it, so I don't see that quarantine is that much different apart from the dogs don't get the exercise yard as they might when kennelled for holidays. I go out from 10 days to the rest of the dogs life without you and its a not brainer for me. 

As above, Bob at Pet Air is very good and can probably help reassure you on it all. At a year old, your dog hopefully has many years ahead. I'd ship a dog that isn't a total stress ball. No question. If a dog does get really distressed at even slight change, noises, other people and more I'd consider rehoming to a decent rescue that has a safety net for the dog in that the dog remains registered to them and if it ever needs to be rehomed again, it goes back to the rescue, not just sold on or passed on to someone who doesn't meet a home check etc. Otherwise, so long as fit and well and paperwork all in order, I'd take with me. 

Guest The Pom Queen

Agree with the above posters. We worry a lot more than the dogs do. If you think with quarantine and shipping but then being back with you is going to be less stressful than going through the rehoming process.

Guest The Pom Queen
36 minutes ago, Phil1712 said:

Hi thanks for all the advice. My other concern is that there is no quarantine centres in Perth. Has anyone shipped there dog to Perth? If so where was there dog put in quarantine?

Thanks

Hi @Phil1712 no there is no interstate quarantine for dogs. You can pick them up yourself or pay a domestic shipper. Baycity are cheaper than Dogtainers or Jetpets or if you use @BobPetairUK they can provide you with a quote to get them sent direct to your door or Perth cargo

2 hours ago, Phil1712 said:

Hi thanks for all the advice. My other concern is that there is no quarantine centres in Perth. Has anyone shipped there dog to Perth? If so where was there dog put in quarantine?

Thanks

Everyone outside of Melbourne and the area has to ship their dog/cat to wherever it is they are living once quarantine is done. Be it Perth, Brisbane, Sydney or Darwin. So its a well used service and shippers would have plenty of experience with the routes. 

There are domestic pet shippers and Pet Air (and perhaps other UK shippers) can arrange onward domestic shipping if needed. Or else you can arrange and book it yourself. 

Hey Phil

So the pets do have to go to Melbourne and do their 10 day stay, then do a flight from Melbourne to Perth and you can collect from the airport there. pet shippers in the UK can help you as much or as little as you wish and certainly if you live anywhere down south, you can bring your dog in and see us and meet us and see crates and chat through your concerns.

The pets cope with this amazingly. They are the heroes in this process. They would not rank it as their best 2 weeks ever, but it is short term pain for the long term gain of staying with the family that loves them. It can be really expensive by the time you have paid for everything - around £3000-£3500 for a Cavachon (rough price depending on size) and it takes at least 7 months from the very start to when your dog can fly, so bear that in mind.

If you wanted to read more about what needs to be done then have a look here: https://www.petairuk.com/taking-pets-to-australia/dogs-australia and we can do you a free quote if you wanted to get a better idea of prices.

We did a survey a few years back and 95% of people reported their pets were back to normal 10-14 days after a flight (that was for flights with no quarantine), so really the pets do cope exceptionally well.

I hope that helps and dont forget there are plenty of people who can help you make the best decision for you and your little dog

• Like 1

Hi Phil we arrived in Melbourne in January 2017 ahead of us was our 2 dogs and we where constantly updated on how they was doing at the quarantine centre.
They are well looked after there and you should of heard them when we picked them up which was priceless but not cheap.
Couldn't dream of leaving them even though they can been a pain.

Kelv

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/05/2018 at 05:27, Phil1712 said:

Hi we have just started the process to obtain 189 visa. 

We have a cavachon who Is  just under a year old, and was wondering if we should take him?. 

We don't like the idea that he will be in quarantine for 10 days once he arrives, and we don't get to see him when he lands. We are looking to settle in Perth, but my understanding is there is no quarantine centres there, so he will need to travel again once quarantine is over. We don't really want to put him through all that stress. But we really don't want to leave him behind.

Is there anyone that can advise us on the process. Any advice would be appreciated.

Our Shar Pei travelled well 2 years ago and they are noted for being anxious Just make sure you get a company to move him that has the experience to do things in case of hitches 

9 hours ago, Patphillips47 said:

Our Shar Pei travelled well 2 years ago and they are noted for being anxious Just make sure you get a company to move him that has the experience to do things in case of hitches 

Hi which company did you use?