Suburbs recommendations please.

s713

Wish list -

45ish minute train/pub transport commute to CBD.

Mid-range house prices, decent blocks, garden space.

Green & leafy, parks for dogs. No kids, not bothered about schools.

Nice vibe, no bogans (if at all poss), decent amenities.

Thanks in advance ?

Lara on the northern outskirts of Geelong.  50 mins by train to Melbourne CBD, 20 mins to Geelong, 40 mins by car to Torquay and the start of the Great Ocean Road, 10 mins to the You Yangs forest park.  Not too bad to get to Tullamarine for international flights and Avalon Airport is literally just up the road (going to be international down the track fingers crossed). 

New shopping centre with the essentials, not too far to large shopping centres in Geelong/Waurn Ponds/Werribee.  New estates have a range of block sizes up to 1000 sqm, older properties are on the old quarter-acre blocks (though go for more as a lot of people are subdividing and building a second house in the backyard).  

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen

If you don’t need family Suburbs then you have numerous choices available. I’m presuming you will be renting to start with. How many bedrooms do you need? Do you want a Suburb with some action or a quiet Suburb? 

Guest The Pom Queen

A lot of the Bayside suburbs have dog parks and include the pet friendly beaches at Brighton and Mentone. I would have said Toorak or Kooyong especially as Kooyong has an excellent dog park but then the price of property and the fact they are mainly apartments are going to probably make that a no go.

Donvale is close to Aranga Park.

Obviously the further out you go the more house/land you will get but it depends what you are wanting as these suburbs may be too quiet for you.

No, we'd be buying as we'd be relocating from WA.

Somewhere leafy with walks for the dogs. Few nice shops, pub couple of places to eat would be nice. Happy to commute 45 mins, not mega expensive.

Thanks all.

Guest The Pom Queen

Also don’t forget our Suburb guides which may help narrow it down. https://www.pomsinoz.com/articles.html/where-to-live-in-australia/

To be honest with you personally I wouldn’t buy before living there for 6 months first to get a feel for the area. Saying that we moved from Melbourne to Cairns and bought our house before moving. Hubby didn’t even see the house that we bought until he finished packing up in Vic and flew up.

It is hard for us to narrow it down because there are a large number of suburbs that would match your requirements but without an idea of budget it is near impossible. I know it’s personal and you won’t want to say on a public forum but is it possible to give us an idea of price range, ie under $500,000, $600 - $800, etc

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/05/2018 at 02:25, Toots said:

I have stayed with friends in Greensborough and liked the suburb.  Here are some Greensborough details. https://www.homely.com.au/greensborough-banyule-melbourne-greater-victoria

Greensborough is lovely, has everything you need, some lovely walks along the creek, cycle tracks through to the City and is on the doorstep to the Yarra Valley but when we lived there the commute absolutely sucked - approx an hour on the train (+walking time) and absolutely packed from CBD most of the way back. We broke our lease after 6 months and moved closer to the CBD  (Kensington) after I fainted from the heat and sardine-like conditions - I didn't even fall because everyone was shoulder-to-shoulder. Kensington has an awesome dog park and is possibly my favourite suburb that I've lived in (6 minute commute into the city) but it doesn't have the big blocks you're looking for.

Maybe somewhere on the Greensborough line but closer into the city? Heidelberg, Rosanna, Ivanhoe?

We are moving back to Altona, which has a great dog beach (can't wait to introduce our puppy to the beach!) and a couple of dog parks, but obvs coastal so less leaf and more beach. Commute is 30/35 mins to the city by train. Neighbouring suburb of Newport also has dog parks and a good dog owning community, that's 20/25 mins to the CBD on the train.

• 5 months later...