unpaid overtime

Itraf

THIS IS WRITTEN FROM MY WORK COLLEAGUE please can someone giving her advice thankyou

We moved to Australia last year as my husband was offered a job out here and to be closer to ageing family some of whom he supports.

however a year down the line hubby has been working 60, 70, 80 hr weeks and has resigned from his job as he is burnt out.

the company says he never asked if he could so overtime and they never told him to.

despite the pressure on him to do tasks that exceeded time limits due to having no one to help him. Immense responsibilities doing the jobs of three people and then being harassed by the owner on weekends demanding him to work.

the company says it was totally unaware he was working those hours and refused to.pay the overtime. They got nasty when he refused their paltry offer of 5 weeks pay and said that he would lose out if he chose to work his notice instead of taking paid leave of notice.

so he had no choice but to take it and leave.

we are shocked by what has happened, particularly the manner in which I was done.

Especially as we came all this way. Any advice pls.

What advice are you seeking?

If he did not tell the employer he was working extra hours and they did not agree with him doing the extra hours - he may find it difficult to get additional money.  In hindsight, he should have let them know that he couldn't finish the tasks given to him - then he would have had some evidence that they knew he was working extra.

My staff, have to let me know if they are working late, time back has to be authorised and taken within a calendar month for example.  

• Like 1