Visa advice please

Nicola87

Hi All,

I'm in need of some advice please. My partner has been offered a job in Aus with the company he is currently working for in the UK. He has worked for the company on two separate occasions - July 2016 to July 2017 then from January this year til present. The contract for his new position (in Aus) begins in February 2019. We have two young children (boy aged 2 and girl aged 4 months) and we need some advice on what kind of visas we will need, how long the process usually takes and the cost of the visas.

Thanks in advance
Nicola

You have a choice of two main types of visa, either temporary or permanent.   We generally advise you to go for a permanent visa IF you can qualify to get one.   That way, if you decide you like Australia so much you want to stay longer, you can. Also you're not at the mercy of your employer - knowing that getting fired or made redundant means getting deported is not a good stress to live under!   

However, if you're just looking forward to a short-term adventure and the employer is willing to pay your flights and shipping there AND back, the temp visa should be fine.

To clarify, the temporary visa is just what it says - you get a visa which allows you to stay in Australia for the length of the contract.   Once the contract is finished, you have to return to the UK.  If you're unlucky and the company goes bust or your husband is retrenched before the end of the contract, you have to leave immediately.  You get 90 days to leave the country. 

While your husband is on a temp contract, you are allowed to work but you may have difficulty getting a good job, because employers always worry you could disappear at short notice if your husband's job terminates for any reason.   There are restrictions on things like being allowed to buy a house, since you're not legally resident in Australia. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

As Marisawright says, it will depend a bit on which visa your husband can get.  If it is a temporary visa, it will need to be actioned by the company as far as I know (sponsorship), but there are visas you can apply for independently which are permanent, which might be the better way to go with a young family.  Do you mind telling us what your husband does for a living?  Someone might have more advice about the visas if we know the occupation.

Most companies tend to arrange temporary visas, which would be a TSS. As others have mentioned, it comes with a lot of issues. As well as those mentioned, you would not get any government benefits or things such as subsidised child care and many states now charge temporary residents for education and this can be a significant amount of money. 

The ability to qualify for a permanent visa would depend on his occupation 

Thanks for your advice guys. My partner is currently a Spare Parts Co-ordinator but his new role will be an Engineering Maintenance Planner in a logistics warehouse. I have read that permanent visas can take a long time. Are we able to apply for a temporary visa (in hope to get it quickly) while applying and waiting for a permanent visa. Can anybody advise me on cost and what checks will be done? 

Thanks

Nicola 

The company pay most of the costs for a TSS, they also usually appoint a migration agent and they need to get on the case asap as processing times can now be long even for a temp visa. 

Be aware, there is very limited scope for this occupation to get PR. You would need state sponsorship and only two states are sponsoring, NT and Tasmania and if you are living / working there, neither will. Also, both would only offer 489 which is a provisional visa rather than a PR. 

6 hours ago, Nicola87 said:

we able to apply for a temporary visa (in hope to get it quickly) while applying and waiting for a permanent visa. Can anybody advise me on cost and what checks will be done? 

Yes you can, but the big problem is - what happens if you don't get the permanent visa?   You need a certain number of "points" to be eligible for a visa, and some people think that if they've got the points, they will get the visa. Not true.  It's a competition.  There are only a certain number of visas awarded every year, and immigration picks the best.  Right now, for instance, you only need 65 points to be eligible for a visa, but there are so many people with 70 points, no one with 65 points is being accepted.

So if you take the temp visa while you apply, there's a good chance you will have to head home again after two years anyway.   If your husband's occupation isn't much in demand, then there's a very high chance you'll be heading home anyway.  Only you can decide whether that upheaval is worth it.