Just starting out. Which Visa is the best? Should we use an agent?

Leighbee98

16 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

We certainly need good IT people and also people able to help fix the mess the NBN is creating!

When he said “Leigh can fix it”  not sure he meant something on the scale of this pile of arse. Ooo unless he can bring some more fibre optic so we can have it everywhere, not just to the node. Yes, that’s it, bring more fibre optic Leigh!!!!:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Unfortunately, the vast majority of 189 / 190 holders I've come across who also work as software engineers are extremely, and very sadly, lacking in ability.

It's not a problem unique to Australia: just notice it a hell of a lot more since I moved here.

Edited to add: But a definite benefit for progression if you know what you're doing! ;)

Edited by CeltInCaulfield

Just now, CeltInCaulfield said:

Unfortunately, the vast majority of 189 / 190 holders I've come across who also work as software engineers are extremely, and very sadly, lacking in ability.

It's not a problem unique to Australia: just notice it a hell of a lot more since I moved here.

You make me sad.....

I suppose the sorry state of our IT means we are safe from the Russians, connections so slow they’d get bored waiting to hack in.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CeltInCaulfield said:

Edited to add: But a definite benefit for progression if you know what you're doing! ;)

It shocks me to see the quality of IT when I travel for business. Ive seen multi million dollar businesses with domestic switches hanging in riser cupboards, domestic routers and awful network performance.

I just want to rip it all out and put it back in simply, propperly

Unfortunately I cant really program only SQL, but ill make a company's ERP system produce real numbers and work well.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

We certainly need good IT people and also people able to help fix the mess the NBN is creating!

Ah... we have crappy ISP's (internet service providers) I supply businesses here in the UK with good quality connections (Fibre to the cabinet)

For example my customer here in Devon has never had a drop in internet since the service was installed. IT should be simple, reliable and appropiate

3 minutes ago, Leighbee98 said:

It shocks me to see the quality of IT when I travel for business. Ive seen multi million dollar businesses with domestic switches hanging in riser cupboards, domestic routers and awful network performance.

I just want to rip it all out and put it back in simply, propperly

Unfortunately I cant really program only SQL, but ill make a company's ERP system produce real numbers and work well.

I don’t understand anything you have written here. But you say with confidence and I like that! :notworthy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, CeltInCaulfield said:

If you're looking for quality, Australia's the wrong country, bro!

Of 27 devs in my place, only three of us speak English fluently...

But would this put me head and shoulders above other applicants? if employers are looking for quality that is

Not being able to communicate accurately and succinctly with your colleagues, especially in a fast paced environment, puts people at a great disadvantage.

I'd sooner hire someone who needs a lot of skilling, who can communicate clearly with me, than someone who might be 'awesome' but can't communicate or get on with the team.

3 hours ago, CeltInCaulfield said:

Not being able to communicate accurately and succinctly with your colleagues, especially in a fast paced environment, puts people at a great disadvantage.

I'd sooner hire someone who needs a lot of skilling, who can communicate clearly with me, than someone who might be 'awesome' but can't communicate or get on with the team.

Got a job?  ha ha. Ive always enjoyed the SQL scripting and back in the day basic programming. As a school kid I was the one in the school teachers turned to for help, I practically ran the IT element of my business studies class... got to laugh..

24 minutes ago, CeltInCaulfield said:

Fire me a PM after you get your visa sorted and I'll put you in touch with the decent IT recruiters in Melbourne, by all means ;)

That would be very welcomed and kind of you. Im going to have a list of folks ill owe favours to at this rate.

On 4/13/2018 at 10:35, VERYSTORMY said:

It will to some extent depend on points as accountants need very high points to stand any chance of an invite. At the moment I don't think accountants are getting invited for 189 visas at all and the occupation has again been flagged for removal from the list. 

A 190 may have a better chance of success if a state is sponsoring it, though you would need to be aware a number of states now routinely refuse 190 and offer 489 instead which isn't as good a visa and comes with a catch. 

Employer sponsored visas are best avoided as they are temporary visas and come with a lot of issues. Not least the fact they are what they say a temp visa. 

There are a number of good agents that post regularly on the forum. Try calling Go Matilda or look up Wrussel

When were they again flagged for removal? Tried googling but couldn't find anything. Is that for the 2018-2019 programme year? Thanks.