Police Clearance Problems

Diamond Nine

Hi all,

As part of our 186 visa application my wife and I need to provide police clearances for every country where we have lived in the past 10 years. For the UK and Australia this was easy but we have a problem in that we have both worked in the middle east within this time frame and we cannot get a new police clearance now we have left the country. I say "new" because we actually have a police clearance certificate from when we left but as it is now over 2 years old it is not accepted by Aus Immigration as it must be within the last 12 months. Our migration agent has advised us both to fill out a stat. dec. to explain the situation and to state that we have no criminal record from our time over there.

Has anybody else had a similar issue and how did you get around it? Am I concerned over nothing?

Thanks

Im sure some reader will have, if not maybe someone who is pretty clued up on the visa's will be along soon and have some advice for you. If not i would call an agent, i found ours was great when i came across stumbling blocks.

Good luck with everything'

Cal x

13 hours ago, Diamond Nine said:

Hi all,

As part of our 186 visa application my wife and I need to provide police clearances for every country where we have lived in the past 10 years. For the UK and Australia this was easy but we have a problem in that we have both worked in the middle east within this time frame and we cannot get a new police clearance now we have left the country. I say "new" because we actually have a police clearance certificate from when we left but as it is now over 2 years old it is not accepted by Aus Immigration as it must be within the last 12 months. Our migration agent has advised us both to fill out a stat. dec. to explain the situation and to state that we have no criminal record from our time over there.

Has anybody else had a similar issue and how did you get around it? Am I concerned over nothing?

Thanks

Follow the agent's advice.

COs are well versed in whch countries will not issue police checks and why. They have ways of dealing with the situation and Stat Decs is one of thse ways. 

Thanks for your responses. I'm just a little surprised that a Stat. Dec. is all we need - it seems like this system could be open to some fairly heavy abuse. It also seems strange that a Stat. Dec. holds more weight than an actual police clearance (albeit 30 months old now).

If you have never set foot back in the country since the last police check it may well be accepted as valid, after all you can’t commit a crime there if you don’t go.

This used to be the case for police checks for countries where you no longer live/visit anyway.

Archived