AITSL Assessment

Dave1986

Hi, 

My partner recently applied for AITSL assessment but it has come back not suitable. We are slightly confused as to if we should appeal the decision or not. 

My partner has a dutch bachelors degree in childcare education. Living already in Australia on a 457 visa the first thing that happened was getting it recognised by ACECQA who assessed it as being the equivalent to an ECT as she wanted to work and we werent thinking about using it for migration back then. We were over the moon that we had done it and thought that applying for a 189 visa was one step closer. When we got to starting the application we realised we needed to get it recognised by AITSL so sent of the paperwork and also included the ACECQA certificate for good measure. 

When it returned as not suitable it was because she had not completed a 1 year teacher training following her 4 year degree. We thought that if your degree was in education and it had covered the correct units you did not need this as a separately (as ACECQA had assessed it).

The salt in the wound for us is she is already working in a childcare centre in Australia and allowed to work as an ECT; but she is not allowed to immigrate for that role. It doesnt make any sense and we are so confused and what it right and what is wrong. 

If anyone can help us we would very much appreciate all the assistance we can get in trying to figure out what to do. We cant bare the thought of not being able to stay after my 457 visa ends. 

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I’m in the process of gathering my paperwork for the skills assessment for Early Childhood Teacher. Your partner would have to have initial teacher training (either within her undergraduate degree or as a 1 year PGCE afterwards). As well as the transcript to show which modules she studied, she’d need a letter from her university detailing her teaching practice placements (which has to be at least 45 days of supervised teaching practice). So, even though she’s doing the job already, I don’t think AITSL will give her a positive skills assessment without the initial teacher training. I think she would have to go back to uni and complete a PGCE (or equivalent) to be considered ?

Others on here might be able to offer more advice. Good luck.

Something does not add up here.

To work as an Early Childhood teacher in a day care centre your partner would have had to register with the teacher registration board in that state - this is exactly the same as if she had been working in a school an an EC teacher. Did she register? If so, her qualifications should most certainly be suitable. If she did not register, then she is not officially an EC teacher.

She would only have received registration if she had a four year degree (with 45 days supervised teaching) or a three year degree then followed by a one year teacher training course.

Are you sure that she is working as a teacher and not as a diploma qualified room leader (or similar)?

Edited by Sammy1

Hi Sammy, 

Correct - she is a diploma qualified room leader - However has an ACECQA certificate saying she is qualified as an Early Childhood Teacher.

She has done a 4 year degree course in childcare education - however I believe the degree was accelerated and completed in 3 years. Maybe that is why they are getting confused? 

Thanks for your help guys! 

Dave

• 5 months later...

Hi Dave,

My wife just applied to ACECQA and we are currently waiting for their reply.

We are also very excited with the possibility of having her overseas educational degree recognised as ECT. Btw her degree was a 4-year long degree as well. As of AITSL process, you asked specifically if she can compensate the educational missing background with further studies onshore?

Hope you can get it sorted!

• 1 month later...

According to AITSL, 'Assessment for Migration and ACECQA recognition are separate and different. Each have different requirements. It is important to understand that a successful assessment for one does not ensure a successful assessment for the other.'

So just because a qualification has been approved by ACECQA, this has no bearing on whether it meets AITSL migration assessment standards.

Regards,

Richard

Skills assessments are nasty business. You could have a teaching degree and 5 years experience, but be denied for immigration purposes because your degree didn't include enough days of supervised teaching practice. Then if you do a 1 year course to get the supervised teaching practice, your experience probably won't count because it happened before you got the credential.

• 2 months later...

Everyone,

One question:

My wife has her bachelor degree already accredited by ACECQA as ECT, however not AITSL yet.

Is it possible for her to provide me 5 points as partner while applying for visa 190 in NSW (ECT is on the list)? Although in the NSW website for visa 190 the accreditation entity is AITSL, she is already working as an ECT and room leader in Sydney/NSW.

Thank you.

On 12/02/2018 at 17:26, Dave1986 said:

Hi Sammy, 

Correct - she is a diploma qualified room leader - However has an ACECQA certificate saying she is qualified as an Early Childhood Teacher.

She has done a 4 year degree course in childcare education - however I believe the degree was accelerated and completed in 3 years. Maybe that is why they are getting confused? 

Thanks for your help guys! 

Dave

Sounds like she will need to do a Masters degree to me or something similar. I don't understand how a degree course can be accelerated in this way but not recognised as the same as a four year degree. If it's the same credits of course! I know of a few of the accelerated courses in England they just basically complete units during the summer when others are having a break...