Applying for RRV onshore on visit

Sheila2018

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help with some advice about RRV.

Our situation at the moment is we we're granted a one year RRV last year which runs out March 2018, and even though we have had a year to get sorted due to circumstances we need more time. Son is going before RRV expires and staying with family.

We were thinking of going for a few weeks before RRV expires and applying for another RRV onshore.

My question is: How long dose an onshore RRV take to be granted? (assuming it does), I did find something saying it was about a week but I can't find where I got this number from again.

Will applying onshore make a difference if we are only there for a few weeks or will they see it as an offshore application?

Thanks in advance

Actually, most RRV's are granted onshore, because that's what they're really for - to permit someone who's already settled in Australia to come and go from Australia, e.g. on holidays.  

Once you've arrived in Australia, it doesn't matter if the RRV expires - your visa allows you to stay in Australia forever.  The only reason you'll need to renew the RRV is when you want to leave the country again, e.g. for a holiday, so they'll let you back in.   

I seem to recall that when I applied for one, I went to the office and got my passport stamped same day.  That was a long time ago, though.

3 hours ago, Sheila2018 said:

Thanks for your response "Marisawright' 

I thought they preferred online applications now but if you can still go into the office and apply, I'll maybe do that.

Mine was a long time ago, so I have no idea whether it's still possible.  My point was, it was a quick process on-shore at the time.  

You plan to apply for one when you go over on a holiday and then if granted to go off shore again for up to a year or so and then actually make the move? 

I really don't know how it works in the application but if you have to give your intended dates of travel (ie as if you were resident in Aus and going on holiday or some such for a few weeks) you may find you are a bit stuffed perhaps. 

Have you clarified what info you are expected to give in the RRV application? Like the evidence if you do not meet the residence requirement. The immi site says

If you do not meet the residence requirement

If you do not meet the residence requirement, you must provide documents that show evidence of your substantial ties to Australia:

You must tell us, in a statement, how the substantial ties are of benefit to Australia.

Applications that do not meet the residence requirement generally take up to 30 days from date of lodgement to finalise.

You must attach the documents to your application in ImmiAccount. If you do not, there will be delays in processing your application.

Snifter makes a very good point, sorry if I raised your hopes incorrectly.  I said applying onshore was a quick process - but I should have realised, that's because i was a resident when I applied for it.  I couldn't remember what the form was like - but looking at it,  you'll get caught out by the questions about whether you've been resident in Australia etc.  

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Forms/Documents/1085.pdf

Bottom line - there's absolutely no point in making a flying visit to Australia.  Whether you apply onshore or offshore, you'll still be treated as a non-resident and have to jump through the same hoops to get a RRV.  Hopefully you've got some really good reasons why you haven't been able to move in the last five years, because you'll need them:

"Should a permanent resident leave Australia without a RRV, or if the person is overseas when a permanent visa expires, the person will have lost the right to return to Australia and as such, they will have lost the right to remain indefinitely in Australia. 

[RRV] applicants who do not meet the residence requirement may be granted a travel facility for up to 12 months where they can demonstrate substantial personal, employment, business or cultural ties that are of benefit to Australia.

If the applicant has been absent from Australia for a continuous period of more than 5 years it is necessary, in addition to the substantial ties to Australia, to substantiate compelling reasons for the absence from Australia. 

Some examples of compelling reasons under policy include but are not limited to:

•severe illness or death of an overseas family member
•applicant or the applicant’s accompanying family members have been receiving complex or lengthy medical treatment preventing travel
•applicant has been involved in legal proceedings such as sale of property, custody, or contractual obligations and the timing was beyond the applicant’s control;
•the applicant has been caught up in a natural disaster, political uprising or other similar event preventing them from travel."

Edited by Marisawright