Visa expiration

Spencer gloyne

Hi everyone.my question to anybody that may be able to answer?my permanent skilled visa expired as I couldn’t enter Australia before jan 2016 due to a family illness.I was just thinking is there anyway to breath life back into that visa or has that ship sailed?My brother is a citizen but I’m not sure if that holds any sway?any advice is appreciated.

Did you validate your visa and just not make the move?  I wonder if you'd be able to apply for a Resident return visa - if you explained your circumstances (perhaps provide proof of the family illness e.g. letter from Dr) - you might have a chance of a 1 year visa????  It's worth looking at in the first instance rather than a whole new application.

• Thanks 1

A resident return visa would be the way to go.  You need to look carefully at the criteria on the immigration website.  If you have not been out of Australia for over 5 years you don’t need to provide a compelling reason for not being in Australia.  Depending on how long you have spent in Australia you may need to prove ties to Australia though.

You may get a one year RRV or possibly just a three month one so you need to time it so you can travel before it expires.  Do not though get a tourist visa as this might cancel your PR visa, which you still have as it is only the travel portion that expires.

Worth consulting an agent on this then.  Your chances may be better if you apply whilst in Australia, there was a previous case on here that with an agents help got an RRV after being out of Australia for many years.  Definitely worth a try as only a few hundred dollars. 

You are right about no longer qualifying for a skilled visa though.