Partner has criminal conviction and wants to visit Oz

Sasha09

Hi there, 

My partner has a criminal conviction in the US of a misdemeanour crime (petty theft) he was sentenced to community service this was around 6 years ago. He wants to come visit me in Oz and in the future we are thinking to apply for a partner visa. What should he tick on the immigration form? if he ticks yes, should he have any documents with him- like a police check from home ora character reference from his boss?
I just want to make sure we start off on the right foot so its smoother in the future if we apply for a partner visa. He doesn't want to declare it on his form, but after reading a few posts it seems being honest up front is the best idea, as always in life.

Much thanks for any advice on this case, 

Cheers 

50 minutes ago, Sasha09 said:

Hi there, 

My partner has a criminal conviction in the US of a misdemeanour crime (petty theft) he was sentenced to community service this was around 6 years ago. He wants to come visit me in Oz and in the future we are thinking to apply for a partner visa. What should he tick on the immigration form? if he ticks yes, should he have any documents with him- like a police check from home ora character reference from his boss?
I just want to make sure we start off on the right foot so its smoother in the future if we apply for a partner visa. He doesn't want to declare it on his form, but after reading a few posts it seems being honest up front is the best idea, as always in life.

Much thanks for any advice on this case, 

Cheers 

Hi Sasha,

Yes, once you apply for his partner visa , dept will ask for police clearance from every country that you lived in, he got to declare his criminal history, Even if you hide, Dept would find it out, Which will put you in danger too.

Not declaring it on a landing card for a visit and then declaring in on a partner visa would cause you bigger problems ... remember it's called a character test (which they're going to question why you hid something and then said ... oh yes there was this one thing).  Honesty, really is the best policy with immigration.  It wouldn't harm him to bring some supporting evidence if he does get stopped coming through immigration and asked about it.

What Ali said. Not declaring it on a tourist visa would see him run into problems when time comes to lodge for a partner visa. He will have to provide full police clearance for a partner visa and it would show up on there. TBH there is no excuse to not declare when entering as a tourist. Not doing so he can't play the didn't know or forgot card. It doesn't wash with immigration. 

he should be honest from the get go. 

Hi all, thank you for your responses and contributions. My boyfriend is going to declare it on the customs form and in the application of a tourist visa. 

We just spoke this morning and he has also been doing some research sounds like if its not a serious crime that you will be fine. He had never done jail time as well, so he's pretty kosher. 

Honesty is the best policy. 

Thank you Sasha 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sasha09 said:

Hi all, thank you for your responses and contributions. My boyfriend is going to declare it on the customs form and in the application of a tourist visa. 

We just spoke this morning and he has also been doing some research sounds like if its not a serious crime that you will be fine. He had never done jail time as well, so he's pretty kosher. 

Honesty is the best policy. 

Thank you Sasha 

Just be prepared when he applies for the tourist visa that it may take some time to be granted - they now look into convictions more than they used to, so may well request a police check etc before granting the tourist visa. 

• Thanks 1

Great, so has anyone had any experience with tourist visas for someone who had a criminal conviction. Which tourist visa should he apply for? I assume the ETA wouldn’t be the right one or maybe they just ask for more information. Or perhaps it’s the subclass 600 visa. 

Thank you for any help :)