Going alone or partner visa?

summer

So my fiancé lives in Australia whilst I am still in the UK. My job is on the 'skilled visa' list, i have checked that my English qualification is recognised in Oz- it is, but only in one state (not an issue). 

I guess my question is- which visa is easier/quicker to acquire? Can I go over on a partner visa then use my own qualification to ensure I can stay there in case things don't work out? Im not suggesting they wont, it's just I have a 7 year old from a previous relationship so I want to ensure some level of stability- i.e. not moving to oz and back and trying to return.

And finally, if I go over on the skilled visa, do I have to find a job in that field prior to moving there and/or applying for the visa?!

HELP!! Thanks

Couple of things to consider - Do you meet the criteria for a partner visa - easiest ways to prove are join finances, living together for at least 12 months etc. Someone who has been through the visa will be able to offer more info regarding evidence required and the transition from temporary - PR if PR isn't granted right away.  In some states you can also register your relationship and there is a prospective marriage visa (you have to marry within 9 months).

Re your skills - this avenue would allow you to be totally independent.  Have you looked at the assessing authority for your skill - do you meet the criteria to pass the skills assessment and would you have enough points to apply?

Lastly -   You will need the permission of your childs absent parent to remove from the UK to live in Aus.  This can be a short or long process depending if they agree or not

Ali i haven't actually checked the points, i am seeing an agent to discuss it next week. 

With regards to registering your relationship, does it make a difference to your application for a partner visa? 

We do have permission for my daughter to move to Oz, do you know if I would have ongoing contact with him throughout the process or will it be done at the end/beginning and we will be done with it?

Sorry for all the q's and appreciate your help!

I would clarify these things with the agent next week tbh. I am not aware of the registering a relationship is valid outside of Australia in terms of waiving the 12 month de facto though things may have changed. 

You really need to read the partner visa PDF and any links to other fact sheets it gives, it explains all about things like the 12 month requirement and registering relationships etc. 

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Forms/Documents/1127.pdf

http://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/about/corporate/information/fact-sheets/35relationship

• 1 year later...
On 05/01/2018 at 09:07, summer said:

I guess my question is- which visa is easier/quicker to acquire? Can I go over on a partner visa then use my own qualification to ensure I can stay there in case things don't work out? Im not suggesting they wont, it's just I have a 7 year old from a previous relationship so I want to ensure some level of stability- i.e. not moving to oz and back and trying to return.

There are various types of partner visa.  It's more likely, if your relationship is fairly new, that you'll get a provisional visa.  If the relationship goes wrong during the provisional period (usually 2 years), then yes, you'd have to go home.

However, it's worth knowing that once the provisional period is over, you then get a permanent visa which is yours forever, even if the relationship subsequently breaks up.