Work in sunshine coast

Siobhan_x

Hey.. so I'm 27 year old female have 4 years in recruitment - engineering and trades, which I don't really want to do, and have 8 years in administration. I have never been to the sunny coast and heard it's not so good for white collar roles ? I am going to do more research and try asking more agencies but I generally get the same answer back "you need to be here" or ignored. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Ps .. I have no idea where I will be living yet! I'm not moving until May 2018 but I generally will go where the work is 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It is hard to even get a reply to a job enquiry if your not here in the country.  Not many secure jobs from the UK before arrival.

I dont think there is right direction, you can check out job sites such as seek, career one etc or even local papers and Gumtree were lots of smaller companys advertise, to see which suburbs jobs suitable for you may be in but lots of migrants get jobs by cold calling companys in person and 'selling yourself'.

This is the local paper that has some ad's in - https://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/classifieds/sunshine-coast/jobs/

Caloundra, Maroochydore type areas have more companys/ shops etc than some suburbs but it can all depend on the actual job you want.

Cal x

I've had exactly the same experience, living in Sydney and trying to find work interstate.   At one time (when my first marriage broke up), I needed a change and would've happily moved anywhere.  I applied all over Australia, but neither the recruiters nor the employers want to take on an interstate applicant unless they're really stuck for local talent.

The obstacle is timing.   If you're a local, then you give your 4 weeks' notice at your existing job, and you can hit the ground running in your new job.  If you're interstate, you've got your four weeks' notice, then you've got to pack up, get to your new location and get settled in.  Even if you claim you can start at once, the employer worries you'll be distracted and not at your best for your first few weeks.  Or, worse, that you'll decide you hate the place and you'll decide to go home again.  Especially as you've never been there! How do you know you'll like it?  I'd have thought the off season would be too quiet for someone your age.  There are no big cities on the Sunshine Coast, it's just holiday resorts.

Thinking about this,  if I were you, I wouldn't start out on the Sunshine Coast.

Instead, start in Brisbane.  Book into a nice hostel and register with a few temp agencies so you'll have some money coming in, then you can start looking for jobs on the Sunshine Coast and you're bound to have a lot more success.

It's no biggie that your flight goes to the Sunshine Coast airport.  There's a shuttle bus to Brisbane.

• Like 1