Advice for the newly unemployed on (2 yr) 457

TooEasy

Hi guys and girls

My Temporary Work(Skilled) visa (subclass 457) was granted on June 27th, 2017. I'm 31 years old, turning 32 in January.

I have worked for my sponsoring company until this week, when they made the decision to let me go at the end of my probation period.

As I understand it, I now have 60 days from the date my employment was terminated to get another company to pick up the sponsorship.

Am I right in thinking that I can not take any other form of job without being sponsored by a new company? Financially, I really need to earn money to tide me over until I find another company to take me on. If that's not legally possible, I'm in a bit of trouble.

If I do not find a new company to sponsor me within 60 days, is there any other recourse at all to stay here?

The thought of having to leave in 2 months after establishing my life here over the past 2 years is just devastating me...

Thank you

Remember that your current employer is responsible for your fare home if you can’t find another sponsor immediately so that might take a bit of pressure off. But, no, you can’t work for anyone else in the interim. It might be better to go home and see if you can score another sponsorship from there.

57 minutes ago, Quoll said:

It might be better to go home and see if you can score another sponsorship from there.

Thanks for your advice. I am actually going home for Christmas from December 18 to January 22.

Can you elaborate on why it would be potentially better to go home to find another sponsor as opposed to doing it from here?

Edited by TooEasy

Get door knocking rather than relying on job ad's if you really want to stay. This happened to a Painter friend of ours a fair few years ago and he rang and door knocked pretty much every company from Suuny coast to Gold Coast. He found a new sponser within time but it did mean a relocation for him and his family to the Gold Coast from Brisbane where they had settled.

Will you be able to get back into Aus in January if you go home for xmas?

Good luck and i hope you find someone willing to sponsor.

Cal x

1 minute ago, calNgary said:

Get door knocking rather than relying on job ad's if you really want to stay. This happened to a Painter friend of ours a fair few years ago and he rang and door knocked pretty much every company from Suuny coast to Gold Coast. He found a new sponser within time but it did mean a relocation for him and his family to the Gold Coast from Brisbane where they had settled.

Will you be able to get back into Aus in January if you go home for xmas?

Good luck and i hope you find someone willing to sponsor.

Cal x

Thanks, Cal.

Door knocking is how I normally approach situations like these, and it's how I got jobs before. So solid advice.

Well, by the time I plan to come back my visa will have already expired. I know there's a type of 30 day visa that is for the sole purpose of giving you time to sort your departure from the country out.

Have you ever heard of them extending the 60 day period in special circumstances?

29 minutes ago, calNgary said:

I havent but i am not as clued up on recent visa's as much as some of our other members so hopefully they will see this thread and add their input. Have you spoke with an agent at all ?

Cal x

I'm currently waiting to hear back from the immigration agent at the company I just left. So, will update you all once I know more.

So, I spoke to the immigration agent.

He said that the 60 day period during which I must find a new nomination, begins once the government write their report and contact me. This, in his experience, could take weeks to months. He also mentioned they're very short staffed within the relevant departments. That gives me at least some hope.

He said, however, that all of my arrangements to leave the country should be made within that 60 day period. There is no room for extension—e.g. through a 30 day VISA which I thought existed for this purpose.

For me personally, this makes things really scary. Because it means that if my 60 days begins tomorrow, I would have to move out of the country within the next few weeks, as opposed to being able to come back to Australia to arrange my departure. This is completely unthinkable right now.

6 minutes ago, Raul Senise said:

If you are in Australia, the Department will send you an "intention to cancel" notification and give you a chance to respond, before cancelling the visa.

If you are off shore however, they can cancel your visa without prior warning.

Thanks for that info.

So, if I go home to visit my family for Christmas, there's a chance they won't let me back into the country regardless of how long I have left? Now that's scary.

7 hours ago, TooEasy said:

Thanks for your advice. I am actually going home for Christmas from December 18 to January 22.

Can you elaborate on why it would be potentially better to go home to find another sponsor as opposed to doing it from here?

If you can’t find one within the time frame then cut your losses and take advantage of your current firm paying your fares I meant. You can still apply from o/s but you might well not get back from a holiday if you leave before you’ve got a new visa though.  That’s the nature of temporary visas though, they are just that no matter how much you might want to stay.

Edited by Quoll