Visa 173 Assessment time

Trish Stretton

We applied for the Visa 173 (temporary Contributory Parent Visa) back in May 2015.  We have calculated that we still have at least 3 months before we get our application assessed.  What we'd like to know is, how long does this assessment part take before you get a yes or no from Australia?  We may or may not have to provide police/medical checks but we will have to sell our house so having some idea of best or worst case times for this part of the visa process would really help.  Just gutted that due to the delays in processing times we don't appear to get any discount on the 2nd VAC.

Anyone able to give us some guidelines please?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Trish Stretton said:

We applied for the Visa 173 (temporary Contributory Parent Visa) back in May 2015.  We have calculated that we still have at least 3 months before we get our application assessed.  What we'd like to know is, how long does this assessment part take before you get a yes or no from Australia?  We may or may not have to provide police/medical checks but we will have to sell our house so having some idea of best or worst case times for this part of the visa process would really help.  Just gutted that due to the delays in processing times we don't appear to get any discount on the 2nd VAC.

Anyone able to give us some guidelines please?

Thanks

Ask this question on the family visa section on The Brand new PIO parent visa thread page ?

Edited by Kathss56

Hi Trish, quick question. How have you calculated you've got three months? My in-laws applied Apr 15 and all we've seen for a few months is that there are too few applications to give a processing time. They were told 2 years when they applied, it went up to 33 months, then 45, then back to 33, then there weren't enough applications. My sister in law in Adelaide has their accommodation sorted, their kit from their house has got to Adelaide, it was shipped when they came back from Cyprus. We're just getting concerned that they are still here with no sign of any activity on their visa. Thanks

On 11/21/2017 at 00:17, Stubee said:

Hi Trish, quick question. How have you calculated you've got three months? My in-laws applied Apr 15 and all we've seen for a few months is that there are too few applications to give a processing time. They were told 2 years when they applied, it went up to 33 months, then 45, then back to 33, then there weren't enough applications. My sister in law in Adelaide has their accommodation sorted, their kit from their house has got to Adelaide, it was shipped when they came back from Cyprus. We're just getting concerned that they are still here with no sign of any activity on their visa. Thanks

@Stubee Some April 20015 applicants have been contacted already. Any day now.

On 16/11/2017 at 19:36, Trish Stretton said:

Hi Kathss56,  I've done that thanks but the posts seem to be pretty old ones (2010) and make for very depressing reading.  where would I find posts from this year on the contributory parent stream?

Click on last arrow on the right for last page number. 

• 1 month later...

In a massive upset to all plans made in the last 5 years, the in-laws have decided they may not go now .......long story short, living arrangements have changed.

They have done and sent their medicals, they're waiting to be asked for payment of the second instalment. 

The question now is, can they apply for an ETA to visit and see if the dream is over before shelling out £31,000ish on the 173 visa or cancelling their application without getting to the bottom of it?

The medicals went last week so how long is it likely to be before they get asked for the second instalment?

Any clues would be gratefully accepted

I think, if at all some one has to come on contributory parent visa than he/she come on 143. Perhaps every thing count after you become the PR. 173 is temporary residence visa. Most of the benefit you get after you become permanent Resident. Moreover you have to apply with in Two years for visa 143 once you are on visa 173 and this is not extendable. You have to leave the country with in 28 days. The money you spent on visa 173 will be waisted. Your 10 years period to get pension of AOS support start once

• 1 year later...