My job or my partners job for a visa

lewisant48

Hi everybody. I've replied to a couple of threads but i am new to the forum today, i hope i'm posting my questions in the correct place. You all seem lovely and this is a great forum to have found.

I'll give you a bit of info about us first.

I am 33. I currently work as a senior support worker & key worker (with 2 year's experience) to an individual with severe epilepsy, autism and more (poor fella!). I work for a company offering assisted living in residences to chaps with autism, challenging behaviour and mental health issues. There are also a couple of other guys that live in the house with assisted living. I am soon going to become a designate/deputy manager at the home i work in (my job to lose in the interview i've been told!) and i have a diploma level 3 that i'm about to complete and when i become a manager i will be doing level 5 (equivalent of an undergraduate degree in the UK i believe) , where a large percentage of the work will be transferrable from level 3. I'm not quite sure how level 3 & 5 compare to Aussie qualifications - advice on this would be great, things never seem clear on the ACWA website. My only other qualification is a BTEC National Diploma in Hospitality and Catering Management but after 12 years in that career i left it behind 5 years ago.

My fiancee, who will become my wife before we migrate, is a veterinary nurse and is 29 years old. Qualified and registered and with over 3 years experience which will become 4 by the time we apply. I think her qualification is diploma level 3 but she also has a BA Degree in a completely irrelevant topic! (Textiles).

My main questions are;

if i am the primary applicant what is the best role for me to apply with; welfare worker, disability services officer, residential care officer, youth worker, family support worker or even a welfare services manager as that is what i'll be soon. Most of these are available on a 489 in SA, Tasmania and NT or the various sponsorship visas and are on the STSOL list. The manager role is available as a 189/190 and my points may reach 60, and this is in the MLTSSL but i will lack experience as a manager and am only working toward the level 5 qualification in this.

Alternatively - My partner's role is on the STSOL and is available in the sponsorship visas and the 489 in SA, NT and Tasmania. However she has been told by a variety of companies that they can get her sponsorship in Australia and we are contacting them in January to get the ball rolling IF we go down this route. She explained the situation to them that i need to be on the visa and am over 30.

So we have a whole load of options that we need to narrow down to which one of us is to be the primary applicant - she would get more points than me if necessary and i'm thinking right now she may be best as the primary applicant unless i can apply as a Welfare Services Manager now - but i'm sceptical as to a level 3 diploma being enough for the skills assessment however my senior support role with 2 year's experience may offer enough work experience for it.

Help!

I'm waffling, thanks for reading and any advice is welcomed with big wide open arms!

First, do not trust companies that agree to get sponsorship. 

You only need one of you to qualify. The other is granted a visa as partner. 

Assuming it is you as main applicant you need to pass the skills assessment for which ever occupation you apply under and I am not sure you currently can. qualification experience. This is the key bit as in most occupations only experience gained AFTER. The qualification is counted. 

As a result I would recommend you speak to a registered migration agent. 

5 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

First, do not trust companies that agree to get sponsorship. 

You only need one of you to qualify. The other is granted a visa as partner. 

Assuming it is you as main applicant you need to pass the skills assessment for which ever occupation you apply under and I am not sure you currently can. qualification experience. This is the key bit as in most occupations only experience gained AFTER. The qualification is counted. 

As a result I would recommend you speak to a registered migration agent. 

They aren't companies that have offered sponsorship they are legit veterinary businesses (i shouldn't have said companies in my original post) that she has been back and forth with but we aren't stupid and won't be handing any money over or anything like that, we know what to look for and what not to look for when it comes to the offers of sponsorship. 

That's the thing if i'm the main applicant, the Welfare Services Manager occupation offers more freedom but i don't have the experience whereas the lesser roles based more around support work seem to allow for experience to compensate less time after qualification. Having said that, by the time we apply i will have a year of post qualification experience.

The other half however has more points and more post qualification experience.

I think we will go through an agent linked on bobinoz where there is a special deal for an initial consultation with no further obligations as bobinoz seems like a very helpful, legitimate kind of fella.

Thanks for the reply and advice!

3 hours ago, lewisant48 said:

They aren't companies that have offered sponsorship they are legit veterinary businesses (i shouldn't have said companies in my original post) that she has been back and forth with but we aren't stupid and won't be handing any money over or anything like that, we know what to look for and what not to look for when it comes to the offers of sponsorship. 

That's the thing if i'm the main applicant, the Welfare Services Manager occupation offers more freedom but i don't have the experience whereas the lesser roles based more around support work seem to allow for experience to compensate less time after qualification. Having said that, by the time we apply i will have a year of post qualification experience.

The other half however has more points and more post qualification experience.

I think we will go through an agent linked on bobinoz where there is a special deal for an initial consultation with no further obligations as bobinoz seems like a very helpful, legitimate kind of fella.

Thanks for the reply and advice!

The agents and posters on here are equally helpful and legitimate!

Just be aware that just because a business says it will sponsor, tht does not mean it will - or even that it can. Not every company meets the requirements to become a sponsor. 

If you are going as a partner on your OH's visa it does not matter what age you are. Its the age of the applicant which matters.