Jet lag

sunshinedawn

I always wondered how air crew get over it. A couple of days stop over in Asia, nor flying business class made any difference to me. Ditto arranging to arrive in the evening not early morning,  or trying to resist that irresistible urge to sleep during the day. I had the best, deepest sleeps of my life but then felt the most wide awake of my life at 3 am.

3 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I always wondered how air crew get over it. A couple of days stop over in Asia, nor flying business class made any difference to me. Ditto arranging to arrive in the evening not early morning,  or trying to resist that irresistible urge to sleep during the day. I had the best, deepest sleeps of my life but then felt the most wide awake of my life at 3 am.

Having been a stewardess and my husband a long haul pilot (a long time ago for me but I travelled loads with him), the answer is that you have to cope. you don't get much time anywhere on stop overs these days, long gone are the week long ones, and my husband always coped better than me, but pilot fatigue is a real problem.

Even though you have stop overs, it's not always easy to sleep on demand so to speak, and for the right length of time.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Zero alcohol and caffeine, before, during or after flight.(Boring I know sorry![emoji23])
Ensure water intake is 2 litres a day before you fly, drink as much water during flights and continue when in destination! Works a treat for us and the kids (all teenagers), jetlag is not a bother for any of us! [emoji38][emoji123][emoji106]

On 01/11/2017 at 21:46, ramot said:

I averaged 6 long haul flights a year for 10 years. Now thank goodness only 1 a year. Do agree west to east is worse.

Sometimes I was absolutely fine after a couple of days, other times I could feel absolutely lousy for at least 10 days, even though I had done nothing different,  and if you told me that I was really ill I would have believed you.

So I have no solution to jet lag, if I had I would have bottled it and made a fortune!!!

Some people swear by one or another solution, but no one I know who have flown loads has an answer that works for everyone.

I do find breaking the  journey helps me, even if it's only a few hours sleep in the airport hotel.

Don't know how my husband coped as a long haul pilot, he never had as much trouble as me.

My experience as a frequent flyer shuttling regularly between the UK and Aus in the last few years (often spending only 1-5 days in one place or the other) I also found that very occasionally no matter what I did the jet lag would hit me badly in Oz (never had a problem flying West) and I would feel absolutely messed up for days. 

Thankfully after 15 years of travelling, that has all come to an end and despite having no regrets, I won’t miss it one bit. Any future trips to the UK will either be in business class or involve multiple stopovers (or both)

As for the op, if you haven’t managed to catch it on day one, it’ll probably just take a few more days of adjustment.