Plasterer planning on emigrating to Australia need help on visa process?

WIRRALUKSCOTT

Hi Everyone or anybody!

I am at the very early stages of planning to move to Australia hopefully successfully on a 189 skilled visa. Now I have been to Australia a couple of times before and know from the get go plastering is very different in many ways to here in the UK. I also have done a fair bit of research to what I understand about the application of the 189 visa. I have been plastering since I have left high school, where I also became qualified in NVQ LEVEL 2 through a college/ company sponsored apprenticeship. I am now 30 years old so I have over 7+ years work experience. However in the last 2 years I changed jobs into a different industry completely. Became a travel agent in fact. This is coming to a end now though as I will become a self employed plasterer again.

My point and question is that I am confused as I would like to know if I can still apply for the 189 visa with me not plastering in the last 2 years?

I should be able to prove my NVQ LEVEL 2 qualifications as I have all the certificates etc...

I should be able to even find some payslips etc, to prove my level of skill and employment in the last few years but not in the last 2-3 years. However any advice on what documents is exactly NEEDED  to prove would be great help!

In fact any advice on the matter from any one in the same situation or applying for the 189 skilled visa would also be much appreciated!

Thank

The first thing is to read a lot of border.gov.au and in particular the skills assessment. 

This will determine if you are eligible. Points to consider are that any experience you have must be post qualification. So, if your seven years include two years doing your NVQ, then you only have five. In addition, because you only have NVQ 2, they will make a deduction of experience in allowing for the difference and a full apprenticeship. 

You also need to see how this affects your points. 

Thank you for your advice VERY STORMY, much appreciated! 

However just so i am clear, i have been on the border.gov.auand researched the info. I have entered my details and the results say am eligible to apply for the 189 skilled visa. Now granted you are right in my 7+ years of work experience 2 will be counted for my 2 year apprenticeship in college etc...

Therefore they will only consider my work experience from once i was qualified (This is didn't know so thanks). 

When you say only having a NVQ level 2 they will make a deduction on experience and full apprenticeship?

How do you mean is this not good enough for the skills assessment? 

Thanks!

Ok, so you need to check the requirements very carefully, or ask a registered agent to undertake a free assessment of your options for you.

On the surface of it, there are a few issues here: You need to apply to have your skills assessed by TRA, and they are unlikely to accept your NVQ 2. As stated earlier, an NVQ 3 is usually the accepted standard - this would result in an automatic fail by TRA.

It may be you need to undertake an AQF 3 Australian RPL program, which TRA would accept, which is an expensive undertaking but maybe required in your case. Then you apply to TRA, but TRA will deduct your first three years to count as an informal training period (this happens for all AQF holders) so this reduces the amount of years you can claim for visa points.

Also, it may be that you currently don't meet TRA's recent work experience requirements, which is 12 month full time paid employment in the trade in the last three years, so depending on exact dates, you may need to go back into the trade full time to bring your recent work experience into line.

Also, you need to be able to provide references and full pay evidence to back up all the employment you are claiming for: tax documents, pay slips etc. If there's any cash in hand involved, this won't be counted.

As you can see, lots to chew on here!

Regards,

Richard

Edited by Richard Gregan
  • Like 2

Thank you VERY STORMY & Richard Gregan for all your help and advice. I would like to mention my NVQ level 2 is a city & guilds qualification. So it is at its highest standard. However yes i did not complete my level 3. Therefore you mention TRA would not accept my NVQ level 2 awarded by city & guilds? Therefore i have researched the australian AQF 3 which is the Aussie qualification which i understand to be very expensive. Would this be my only option you think? 

I also realise i need to prove my employment details, references and full pay slips to back up my claims. This is what i am most concerned about now i know it has to be in 12 months in the last 3 years. I will might struggle with this but thank you for your help. 

I will seek help from a certified agent to determine my progress. 

Thank you 

• 4 weeks later...