Help with partner visa

LYNMACMD

I am an Aussie citizen currently living with my partner back in UK we want to come over to Australia asap as my 15 year old son is still there with his Dad and access is a problem.

Is it possible for him to come over on a tourist visa and we apply for a defacto visa there, we realise he wouldnt be able to work but would he then when his holiday visa runs out be able to have a bridging visa until the partner visa comes through?

Look forward to your responses

There is always a risk in that if he is arriving on a tourist visa not intending to be a tourist. He can be turned around at the border and sent home if they think he isn’t a bone fide tourist. Just submit his application off shore and let your case officer know he might be going over as a tourist for some of the time while he waits then he needs to be offshore when the visa is issued. Get it in now, it might be quicker than you think or you could go first and he could follow on after.

Hello Lyn,

The scenario you describe is quite common.  The first thing you need to do is apply for a Visitor visa for your partner.  If that visa does not have a 'No further stay' condition on it (8503) then that is great.  If it does have a 8503 condition on it then an onshore application will not be possible.

Feel free to contact me if you need further detail.

Regards