General advice

sunshinedawn

At last we are going to land in Melbourne on 28/10. We are not shipping anything over as we are only on a 2 yrs visa, so literally coming with clothes in case.

I need advice as to what your winters are like, do we need to pack fleecy winter coats (designed for our snowy conditions) or leave them at home.

Do we need to clean the soles of any shoes we pack in cases -

(I think I've been watching too much of nothing to declare)

That is all for now, I'm sure I'll be back asking more questions ??

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using PomsinOz mobile app

Melbourne can be very cold so I would be packing fleeces - nothing like standing on Flinders St station with the wind whipping up from the South Pole but if you bring some lightweight thermals you should be able to layer effectively. But, of course, you won't be experiencing that until next April so you should be acclimatised a bit by then.

Your shoes need to be cleaned if you have been walking on farmland, if you've just been pottering around suburbia they should be fine.  My son had his joggers removed and washed because he had been on a run around our place here in Cambridgeshire and had been on country tracks.  They were clean but he declared them and took microscopic grains of dirt off them.

I was there on holiday over August and it gets pretty chilly! The houses are designed to let heat out rather than keep it in so we felt the cold more than we do in the UK. I’d recommend bringing the same cold weather clothes that you use in the UK

From June to August Melbourne can be very cold- you'll need a fire especially in the evening.  After that it is variable, sometimes cold, sometimes quite hot until around December when it can get very, very hot until mid March.  It tends to be a dry heat, not like Brisbane or further North but can get over 40C- and bushfires too.  I always think Spring ( now ) and Autumn are the nicest times in Melbourne, temps in the 20s and clear blue skies. As they say with Melbourne, though, 'close your eyes and the weather will change'