Visa 190 Government's Benefites

Nila

Hello

We have been granted with PR in Perth under visa 190.

Can someone pls give me some information on government's Benefits under this visa category such as medical , housing  and education etc.

or advice me how can I find out these information.

I searched  a lot... but could not get an appropriate information

Thanks

Nilangi

Edited by Nila

Housing, education and medical aren't "benefits". Most other benefits aren't available until you have been resident for 2 years or more.

Education for PR children of compulsory school age is free in state schools (apart from voluntary contributions and incidental costs)

Health is covered by Medicare which is essentially a co-pay system but you can take out health insurance to give you better coverage for hospitals, optical, dental, ancillary therapies.

Housing - you're on your own unless you are on a very low income in which case there might be a benefit but don't hold your breath waiting for social housing.

You will be able to apply for Family Assistance benefits but some of these are means tested (Family Tax Benefit, Child Care Rebate, Child Care Benefit)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Quoll said:

Housing, education and medical aren't "benefits". Most other benefits aren't available until you have been resident for 2 years or more.

Education for PR children of compulsory school age is free in state schools (apart from voluntary contributions and incidental costs)

Health is covered by Medicare which is essentially a co-pay system but you can take out health insurance to give you better coverage for hospitals, optical, dental, ancillary therapies.

Housing - you're on your own unless you are on a very low income in which case there might be a benefit but don't hold your breath waiting for social housing.

You will be able to apply for Family Assistance benefits but some of these are means tested (Family Tax Benefit, Child Care Rebate, Child Care Benefit)

Hello Quoll,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Can u pls advice me on  below  questions which are in red?

Health is covered by Medicare which is essentially a co-pay system but you can take out health insurance to give you better coverage for hospitals, optical, dental, ancillary therapies. How  to find out details on health insurance ? Do I have to Pay for health insurance?

You will be able to apply for Family Assistance benefits but some of these are means tested (Family Tax Benefit, Child Care Rebate, Child Care Benefit) How  to find out details on Family Assistance Benefits?

Kind Regards

Nilangi

55 minutes ago, Nila said:

Hello Quoll,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Can u pls advice me on  below  questions which are in red?

Health is covered by Medicare which is essentially a co-pay system but you can take out health insurance to give you better coverage for hospitals, optical, dental, ancillary therapies. How  to find out details on health insurance ? Do I have to Pay for health insurance?

You will be able to apply for Family Assistance benefits but some of these are means tested (Family Tax Benefit, Child Care Rebate, Child Care Benefit) How  to find out details on Family Assistance Benefits?

Kind Regards

Nilangi

Google Private Health Insurance Australia, and yes of course you have to pay for it!

For Family Assistance benefits google Centrelink Family Assistance Benefits.

• Like 1

Any joint income under $100k should be elgible for some family benefit. You would be best to go into a Centrelink office once your here and see if you qualify for anything.

The only housing type benefit you will be eligible for is Renta assistance if your on a low income / yet to find work etc.

Unless your visa stipulates you must have private health insurance, i personally wouldnt bother with it, i find Medicare and the few expenses attached very reasonable but at the end of the day its personal choice if you get private cover or not..

Hope this helps

Cal x

13 minutes ago, calNgary said:

Any joint income under $100k should be elgible for some family benefit. You would be best to go into a Centrelink office once your here and see if you qualify for anything.

The only housing type benefit you will be eligible for is Renta assistance if your on a low income / yet to find work etc.

Unless your visa stipulates you must have private health insurance, i personally wouldnt bother with it, i find Medicare and the few expenses attached very reasonable but at the end of the day its personal choice if you get private cover or not..

Hope this helps

Cal x

Hello Cal x

Thanks for your information

• Like 1

You pay for Medicare by a levy on your taxable income - comes out of your pay packet each week. You don't need to take out private health insurance but if you are a high income family you will either pay more into Medicare via a surcharge (usually via a tax bill at the end of the year) or you can avoid the surcharge by taking out private health insurance.