Criminal conviction questions

msiwek

Hi all!

I am going to Australia on a temporary project at a university. My husband wants to come with me but he has a criminal conviction (no jail time, non violent or drug related) from 8 years ago. However he did not declare it on a visa 2 years ago...

Now we will apply for a spousal visa as a dependent to my visa and a tourist visa in case this doesn't work out. We will state that he forgot to declare his conviction on a previous application because it was spent in the UK. Do you think it will work? I'm really panicked because we only just got married and would hate to be separated for 8 months. Any advice or experiences you can share? Thank you!

Because if they spot that you are on one visa and your husband on another, then that will usually make then question why.

If your 408 though is for a period of less than 12 months, then he wont need to supply police checks. If more, then he may have problems. The department are actually more lenient on people with convictions than some think. But they are VERY picky about not declaring on arrival cards