Singapore Air Baggage Allowance

jkm10

Hi, i'm traveling to Brisbane in just over a week with Singapore Airlines - i'm in economy so get 30kg check in baggage- what isn't clear is can I only check in 1 bag up to 30kg, or can I check in 2 bags with a combined weight of 30kg? I just don't want to get to the airport and be charged for an extra bag :( thanks jess 

14 hours ago, jkm10 said:

Hi, i'm traveling to Brisbane in just over a week with Singapore Airlines - i'm in economy so get 30kg check in baggage- what isn't clear is can I only check in 1 bag up to 30kg, or can I check in 2 bags with a combined weight of 30kg? I just don't want to get to the airport and be charged for an extra bag :( thanks jess 

And you get an extra 10kg if you're making the move permanently.

2 hours ago, DukeNinja said:

And you get an extra 10kg if you're making the move permanently.

OP, note this is for unvalidated PR visa holders. And you should email the airline direct to confirm prior to flying and print off and keep the email to present at check in if they question the excess. 

On 29 August 2017 at 08:35, snifter said:

OP, note this is for unvalidated PR visa holders. And you should email the airline direct to confirm prior to flying and print off and keep the email to present at check in if they question the excess. 

Thanks I was aware of this, unfortunately I've already validated last year so I can't have the extra baggage :(

I've just checked it, and if you're flying from Heathrow, it's worth noting these points:

Check in is at an automated kiosk only (no human desks).

You then take your checked luggage to the luggage drop off (manned). Note that each suitcase cannot exceed 32kg.

We told the guy that we were emigrating, and he checked the allowance with his supervisor over the phone. Nothing was said about validated/unvalidated visas.

1 hour ago, DukeNinja said:

I've just checked it, and if you're flying from Heathrow, it's worth noting these points:

Check in is at an automated kiosk only (no human desks).

You then take your checked luggage to the luggage drop off (manned). Note that each suitcase cannot exceed 32kg.

We told the guy that we were emigrating, and he checked the allowance with his supervisor over the phone. Nothing was said about validated/unvalidated visas.

I'm flying from Manchester ? Thanks anyway 

On 29/08/2017 at 00:33, kevsan said:

no, you can check as many bags as you want, as long as the combined weight doesnt exceed the 30kg.

Just to confirm, this is 100% correct, I regular fly Singapore Airlines. Don't push the limit as you may get charged extra.

Your first flight is the Airbus A350, it is the best aircraft int he fleet. You will have the latest seats and in flight entertainment. You will also get UK, Australian and USB power sockets. The A350 is really quiet and smooth as well. 

Is your second flight on SQ245? If so it will be an older Boeing 777-200ER. They are the oldest in the fleet I am afraid.
Most of the fleet have quite old in flight entertainment, no power and some seats have boxes under the seat in front that houses a computer for the in flight entertainment. What are your seat numbers? I can tell you if you have this box or not and help you avoid the boxes.
2 in the fleet have been refitted with newer seats that have better in flight entertainment, UK, Australian and USB power sockets. They also don't have the boxes. But it still won't be as good as the A350. You might be lucky and get that one on the day.

They are swapping all the Brisbane flights to Airbus A350s so depending when you fly you might have the same aircraft type as you have on the Manchester route.

8 hours ago, DukeNinja said:

Oh well. But just to let you know, we were allowed to go up to 32kg per case.

That is, iirc the H&S maximum allowance per bag in the UK/EU and US. You had an excess allowance so I'd expect that to be fine. For someone on a 30kg standard allowance they would have to not go over the 30kg, else they would most likely be charged for the extra couple of kilos.

Singapore airlines used to have pretty expensive fees for being overweight on your checked baggage. Per lols was pricey. I'd not risk going over if they are still charging those fees. 

Link below explains. Checked baggage bit :) 

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/ops-infra/baggage/Pages/check-bag.aspx

OP - Its also worth noting the piece concept tends to apply for US flights. Worth checking your flight info or with the airline as to how many bags you could check. 

29 minutes ago, snifter said:

Singapore airlines used to have pretty expensive fees for being overweight on your checked baggage. Per lols was pricey. I'd not risk going over if they are still charging those fees. 

They still do, I called them to confirm, and it was GBP80 per kg!

5 minutes ago, DukeNinja said:

They still do, I called them to confirm, and it was GBP80 per kg!

For that price you could probably ship an entire excess bag with a shipping company for the price of 2 or 3 kilos charged at the excess rate O.o

We sent a big holdall bag on a day ahead of us, used an express company. It arrived the day after we did, so about 5 days all up. It was about 25kg weight and cost about £120 at the time, 4 years ago. Way cheaper than other options given we were flying with Singapore airlines. I also had the excess luggage allowance (think I had 20kg then as their limit was 20kg per person standard luggage allowance back then, so 40kg total still with the migrant allowance).