Travelling to Australia with a New passport

Hitmanfc1000

Hi everyone,

I would be grateful if anyone would be so kind to offer me some advice? My wife, 2 boys, and myself have a PR visa for Australia.  We had all of our belongings loaded onto the lorry to be shipped to Australia last Saturday.  We will be traveling to Australia on the 4th September.  I thought I would check online last night that our visa entitlement was all OK, and all of our visas were listed.  However, both my boys (ages 9 and 5) have both been issued new passports since the visa grant.  My wife has changed her passport twice since the visa grant.  Once due to an expired passport, then once again to change her name to her married name.  According to the online website, their visas are linked to their original passports at the time of the visa grant.  My passport is still the original passport that my visa is linked to.  My question is, are we going to be OK to travel to Australia on the 4th September? I will be carrying all of the old passports (with the corners cut off).  I will also be carrying our marriage certificate as my wife obviously has a completely different surname.

Will we be OK? am I worrying over nothing? I guess that I am just after some reassurance :(

Thanks

You are cutting it fine. 

You need to download and print off a form to notify immigration. Do so asap. 

https://www.border.gov.au/Lega/Lega/Form/Immi-FAQs/how-can-i-update-my-address-or-passport-details

If you have them, ensure you carry the original passports also in case it hasn't updated in time. The visas needs to be electronically attached to the new passport. If it's not done in time you will need to carry the old passports they were attached to plus course your new ones. Fwiw I've only ever read on here of of people doing this re carrying their old passports. I am not sure of Aus immigration website has any info on it to check. 

I used a migration agent, the Visa Bureau, to obtain our visa, so I haven't logged into an immi account as far as I am aware.  I have just checked through my records, and can actually see that I did advise of my son (now 9 years old) and wife's first  passport changes back in 2014 to email address: adelaide.gsm.team8@immi.gov.au.  I was advised to do this by the Visa Bureau.  I emailed across certified copies of both of their new passport ID pages.  I did receive a reply ' These details have now been added to the relevant Departmental record. There is no need to have the visa evidenced in the new passport or to have your grant letter re-issued. If your visa has been granted and evidenced and you have subsequently obtained a new passport, your original visa remains valid up to its original validity date.  You can carry both your new and your expired passports when traveling to or from Australia and present both for entry clearance. '

After checking our visas online, I can see that our visa is still linked to the original passports, no mention of the new passports.  Should I do exactly the same again then? get certified copies of the passports, fill out Form 929, then email across and hope that our records are updated? Then just carry all passports with us anyway.   I know I have left it to the last minute, with everything else that we have been organizing it just totally slipped my mind. 

Before we became Citizens, my wife had to go back to UK in a hurry because of a death in her family.   At that time she had just had her UK passport renewed and her PR visa was attached to the old passport.   We contacted Immigration who advised that as she was leaving Australia the next day, that there was insufficient time to submit the form to have the passport details changed, and that she should carry both passports with her.   Which she did, and it was no problem.   So I suggest that you don't just rely on the form 929 being actioned in time, but that you carry all passports with you.

Thanks for all of the replies.  That's great DukeNinja :)

We left from Heathrow airport on Monday morning.  We left plenty of extra time.  We were asked to show our visa by the lady who checked in our baggage (5 suitcases between the 4 of us.  We paid for an extra suitcase allowance prior to our flight, but were then charged an extra £108 due to all of our cases being over the allowed 23KG.  They were between 26 and 29KG each).  We presented our visa grant letters but as expected my wife and sons passports were not linked to our visa.  The manager was called who took our passports away for a few minutes, apparently made a phone call, then returned them to the original lady who was dealing with our luggage.  She advised that everything should now be OK, which it was.  We are really not sure what she did.  The rest of our journey was stress free, and we entered Australia successfully. 

Thanks to all of you who offered advice.  I will hopefully post an update of our experience here on a new post in a few months time :)