Shipping Bikes

ZoeTaylor

As in push bikes? 

We never steam cleaned ours. However, they are always well maintained and as some of them are pricey road bikes they were usually pretty clean. 

They were cleaned well, no rust and dirt left on. New tyres to iirc. Wheels all sparkly. Were fine in the cube.

We also bought a road bike over as part of our luggage in a bike bag. Again, well cleaned and no issues. 

No we didn't but as I said, our bikes were well used and maintained. New tyres was easier than old dirty ones and we began using them as soon as they were unpacked in Aus. 

Price them up replacing like for like in Aus. If they are decent bikes it may be better to ship them if you have room. I'm not a fan of cheap bikes as they tend to not be as good a ride and often start to fall apart after a bit of use. I'm more of a quality over cheapness and that bikes are worth shipping if they are decent ones. 

New tyres is probably best imo as if the Aquis people see any plant material embeded in them you will have an issue as Australia has very strict rules regarding this. We often move agriculture machinery between Victoria and South Australia and it's a nightmare(Nobody wants to do a South Australian clean down beforehand As it involves making sure no plant material in the tyres, Yes i'm talking picking it out lol).even doing that in the inspectors into South Australia are rigorous as are the ones for international cargo.  So yes i'd go new tyres. 

2 hours ago, bristolman said:

I have no experience with push bikes but have shipped a few motorbikes and as long as they are clean it's always been fine. Never had an issue with tyres and motorbike tyres hold lots more crud than push bikes. 

Not really. Try looking at the tread pattern of  Pilot Power type road tyres Vs a big standards MTB bicycle knobbly.

Thanks all.  I think that we'll probably sell up here and get some second hand road bikes over there.  We currently have mountain bikes which we don't use that often but are hoping to cycle more in Oz - road bikes would be better for the cycle paths and hopefully the better weather will mean we'll actually use them!

• 3 weeks later...

Just to let you know, we used Jeyes fluid (as recommended by many a user on here) to clean the bikes, after pressure washing them. Used a toothbrush to make sure the tyres were clean. But as said above, it might be worth buying new tyres. Checking the seven seas tracker, it looks like our movecube has cleared customs (5 days after docking).

Brizzle! I love that city. If only I could have afforded to buy there...

Our ship got delayed by one day due to bad weather in the Indian Ocean. We were quoted about 96 days, door to door, and pick up was on the 7th of July, so we`re still within that time frame.

Going back to bikes, you might be better off buying new over here, as even second hand, good bikes aren`t cheap. What I did, I joined the British cycling membership scheme for about a tenner. This will give you 10% discount at Halfords. I then stacked another coupon, and ended up with a Voodoo Bizango for about 350. Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...