Citizenship as a child of former australian

pugwash

Hoping to pick your brains.

I was orginally travelling to Oz on a 457 as a GP and going to covert to 189 on landing! (I have enough points). I can't apply for EOI 189 in the UK until AHPRA have verified my documents in person!

However, just discovered on the Immigration website about Citizenship through child of former Australian Citizen.

My Mum was an Aussie by birth. She had to take UK citizenship in the 70's before I was born when married my father (before 2002). I was born outside Australia

I have all the documents - her Aussie  birth certificate/UK naturalisation etc

According to website - should be easy enough to apply

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/pathways-processes/application-options/child-of-former-australian-citizen

Application goes in tomorrow by post (don't get me started on the online application system!)

My questions are:

a) Has anyone done this before? - any hurdles or difficulties, how long does it take to come through?  The website a bit vague as I don't need a citizenship ceremony.

b) I have a wife and 2 kids - Presuming I get citizenship what's the quickest way to get them included? - PR Visa for Spouse/kids obvious choice but looking like taking a while. Can the kids get citizenship through me and get wife over on Tourist visa (and apply for PR as a spouse whilst in Oz) as she is going to be a stay at home mum?

c) I have a job (GP) in Australia waiting- So I could also go with the whole family on a 457 and wait for my Citizenship to come through and finalise Citizenship/PR visa for family in Oz whilst on my 457. Though that would cost more. Would there be a problem if I was granted  citizenship and then travelled on a 457 on my UK passport and sorted the families PR visa whilst in Oz on our 457?

Sorry for the number of questions

Anyone any thoughts or recommendations of who to approach for advice?

Thanks.

It might not be that easy. Did she renounce or just lose? 

Even if you can get citizenship by descent you can't pass it on to your kids. So they would need child visas. Spouse visas are taking quite a while.

Edited by Quoll
It's complicated!

If you get citizenship you have to travel on an Aus passport. 

If she goes on a tourist visa she runs a risk of being turned around at the border as not being a bone fide tourist - and arriving with you who has a job to go to wouldn't be a good look. 

I think a chat with a reputable agent as to which pathway to take would be a wise move!

• Like 1

Might be a good idea if your mum tries to resume her Australian citizenship first. Then you know where you stand. It also makes sense as your parents possibly visit you and the grandkids in Down Under and one day your mum may wish to stay with you permanently and retire in her country of birth. If your mother can resume Australian citizenship than it's easy for you otherwise I would contact the High Commissioner in London.

14 hours ago, silencio said:

Might be a good idea if your mum tries to resume her Australian citizenship first. Then you know where you stand. It also makes sense as your parents possibly visit you and the grandkids in Down Under and one day your mum may wish to stay with you permanently and retire in her country of birth. If your mother can resume Australian citizenship than it's easy for you otherwise I would contact the High Commissioner in London.

The High Commission won't give advice on something like this - the OP needs to engage with a registered agent. 

• Like 1