189 visa social worker

Tdmclagan

Application for 189 visa ( will also add my partner and 2 young children. 

Hi I wonder if anyone can help? 

I'm a social worker with 9 years exp in the uk. I'm about to apply to the aasw to have my skills assessed, however do I need my qualifications assessed or do I also need the skilled employment assessment? And if so how many additional points would this give me? 

I have 60 points: 

25 for age 

15 for my degree

20 for 8-10 years exp

the aasw have noted they will deem me competent in English with proof of uk secondary education and degree. 

Many advice would be appreciated, thanks 

tracy 

Depends what area you want to work in when you arrive over here. You can get some jobs without having the aasw assessment - usually case management positions where they would also accept someone with a basic social sciences degree. For more skilled positions that require specified callings (usually social workers or psychologists) they usually ask for evidence that you are eligible for membership with the AASW. It's pretty straight forward to have the assessment done and although it's pricey you only need to do it once.
With the English test I wouldn't worry if you meet the points criteria. I done it to boost my points and have never been asked about it since. I have heard that they may process visas quicker with higher points so may be worthwhile if you want to speed things along.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

2 hours ago, louise7981 said:

Depends what area you want to work in when you arrive over here. You can get some jobs without having the aasw assessment - usually case management positions where they would also accept someone with a basic social sciences degree. For more skilled positions that require specified callings (usually social workers or psychologists) they usually ask for evidence that you are eligible for membership with the AASW. It's pretty straight forward to have the assessment done and although it's pricey you only need to do it once.
With the English test I wouldn't worry if you meet the points criteria. I done it to boost my points and have never been asked about it since. I have heard that they may process visas quicker with higher points so may be worthwhile if you want to speed things along.

I do plan to have a qualifications assessment but just wasn't sure about the employment skills assessment! It notes it's optional but doesn't say anywhere how many, if any points it would give me.

I have 9 years experience split between child protection and mental health with some supervisory experience 

Thanks

2 hours ago, DukeNinja said:

It's always worth doing an English test, at least for extra points, if nothing else, as more points means you're likely to be invited for a 189 much sooner.

Thanks! I didn't realise that it would make a difference re amount of points I had as long as it was over 60 

@louise7981 just wondered if your a social work or work in the field. I am currently waiting for my visa 189 to be processed. Just wondered if you could assist as I am a adult social worker in the UK & have an interview with Victoria. Wanted to know what to expect. @DukeNinja hope everything goes well for you. Do you know where you will be heading...

• Like 1

I do plan to have a qualifications assessment but just wasn't sure about the employment skills assessment! It notes it's optional but doesn't say anywhere how many, if any points it would give me.
I have 9 years experience split between child protection and mental health with some supervisory experience 
Thanks

Ah I see! I'm sure for the years of work experience all I had to do was provide some evidence - eg. A letter from my employer confirming how long I worked there. I can't remember how many points I got for years of employment but I can't remember it being difficult to find on the visa application guidelines. If you're stuck you can always call immigration to enquire.

@louise7981 just wondered if your a social work or work in the field. I am currently waiting for my visa 189 to be processed. Just wondered if you could assist as I am a adult social worker in the UK & have an interview with Victoria. Wanted to know what to expect. [mention=259648]DukeNinja[/mention] hope everything goes well for you. Do you know where you will be heading...

Hi brendy - yes I am a social worker and my experience is also all with adults. What field is your interview in? From my own experience in government the interviews are pretty similar to those in the uk. I was given 10 mins to read the interview questions, make some notes then went in to a panel of three. The questions were mostly around the client group and working in a team environment. I just made sure I gave plenty of examples of my own work experiences. They usually throw in a culture question too since you will likely work with aboriginal clients - I was just honest with them that as a new migrant I had no experience of working with individuals from this background, but I done some background reading so was able to discuss that and then went on to talk about my experience with other cultures. Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.
Are you doing your visa application with an agent or by yourself?

Hi louise meant to say went for visa 190 (PR) state nomination for Victoria. Yes doing it myself as I researched and felt didn't really need an agent. I applied job via gov website for advanced child practitioner. I have no experience rather just adults safeguarding. I have done the psychometric test. Waiting for a skype interview really nervous. Omg hope I get time to make notes to. What area are you working in, how is it compared to here. If things don't go well what other jobs can I apply?

Will save you quite a bit of cash doing it yourself - I applied for the 189 myself and found it reasonably straightforward to do. Your immigration agent (once allocated to process your visa) will advise if they need any more info and you can always call immigration for advice if needed. I have absolutely no idea what they might ask you for a child protection job - maybe you could do a google search to see if you can find anything. Have a look at Victoria's child protection website and see if you can find the policies they use. I'm in WA and over here they use signs of safety amongst others.
I was working in the prison over here until I left on maternity leave and about to start work on a men's domestic violence programme. All of my previous experience is with offenders except for one job where I worked with asylum seekers. In WA I personally find the work quite behind the times compared to when I worked in the uk which is very frustrating. I have been retrained in things I learned 8 years ago as a student in the uk. They also tend to compartmentalise work here rather than having positions that encompass many skills e.g. An assessment team, an interventions team, a counselling team etc. Not for profit agencies receive pretty good funding so seem to provide greater support to clients here than those in the uk.
So from my own experience corrective services is one area you could look into. Is all your prior experience in safeguarding adults? Do you mean e.g. Those with disabilities/mental health concerns? If so, there are numerous organisations you could look into. I registered with a number of agencies in Melbourne when I was there and ended up getting employment through them. Try having a look on SEEK and Indeed - please note though that jobs won't always be listed under the title of Social Worker - be sure to also check under case manager, mental health clinician, not for profit jobs or check out websites such as the Department of health, corrective services, Dept of communities etc for other roles you would be suitably qualified for. Ethical jobs is also a good website to check out.

@poppy blue yes you can certainly help. What was it like, what things do I need to revise. I am adults social worker and have no experience in cp so terrified about this interview. All help will be greatly be welcomed. Congratulations to you. Are you going on a 457 or .....

Hiya, Initially I was going to refuse a 457 visa and wait to go over on the 189 visa, however the 189 visa processing time is about 8-9months and it was unlikely that the employer would hold the job that long. So I have accepted the 457 visa (refs and police check pending for job) and we are aiming to go over second week in January 2018 as the school start 1st February. 

I applied for AASW in June and again due to processing times this is unlikely to be completed until middle of November, so we are going to apply for the 189 before we leave and then once granted will just cancel the 457 out.

I highly recommend that you sign up to Facebook page Social Workers Wanting OZ a few of us have recently done interviews and some waiting for them, its a vast forum of knowledge about visas, sponsorship, interviews etc

The interview was late at night, it was a panel of three including an area and team manager. They were very friendly there were about 10 questions all together all related to the skills criteria on the job description there were no surprises in terms of questions. 

When is your interview? and which office? are you going through Mcarthur ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/08/2017 at 15:22, Tdmclagan said:

Thanks

Hello, I have completed the skills assessment with AASW for 457 visa chose not to do the employment skills as didnt think it was necessary. You need to provide employer references for visa in any case covering period of time required for post qualifying experience. My AASW assessment was submitted in january and only completed in June nit sure if they still have such a huge backlog x

On 25/08/2017 at 09:43, Brendy1 said:

Hi louise meant to say went for visa 190 (PR) state nomination for Victoria. Yes doing it myself as I researched and felt didn't really need an agent. I applied job via gov website for advanced child practitioner. I have no experience rather just adults safeguarding. I have done the psychometric test. Waiting for a skype interview really nervous. Omg hope I get time to make notes to. What area are you working in, how is it compared to here. If things don't go well what other jobs can I apply?

I have had two skype interviews with victoria in CP positions, they were friendly and relaxed, i got offered both positions so not too bad ? i am sure you will be fine x

• 7 months later...

Hi, I can see from the thread that a lot of people have already had their skills assessment completed. I’m sttuggling on what info to send off. 

Ive contacted all my old managers asking for references with all the info required. 

Ive sent off the info to my uni to fill out. The bits I’m struggling with are the transcript information and the field work placement. It says that for your placements whilst at uni you need to know your supervisors qualifications. The majority of the supervisors I had have now left. Did anyone else have this issue? 

Thanks