Early Years Teacher Registration

Bran

Hi Folks,

My partner is currently having his skills assessed by AITSL and I feel confident that this and the visa application will be successful. We are possibly looking to migrate to Aus late next year if all goes well.

Im now looking at the registration for teachers in Aus to start thinking about what we need to do. His education background:

4 years bachelors degree, 1 year PGCE in early years (3-7), 80 days supervised teaching practice (across ages 4-7)

Looking at the list of approved qualifications from ACECQA, I think the above qualifications falls under the equivalent Diploma level. My question about this is if he has an approved qualification as a Diploma equivalent, how does this help him? Is he able to register with some states? With certain restrictions? What would he be able to do in terms of employment?

I can see that he wouldn't satisfy the requirements for an Early Childhood Teacher as he doesn't have the required supervised teaching experience in the 0-2 year olds bracket, so what are the options?

Ive done a lot of research on this but still struggling on understanding how it all fits together. Any insight from anyone who is going through or has been through something similar would be greatly appreciated! :) 

Edited by Bran

• 6 months later...

Try looking at the teaching board websites, the WA one is www.trb.wa.gov.au. ACECQA deal with teachers only so far as you need to have one in each daycare centre but they don't register them which is why they will be putting you as equivalent to a Diploma (they're in charge of childcare qualifications). 

There are different levels of teacher registration which may help with the short-fall in experience. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2017 at 08:04, Bran said:

Hi Folks,

My partner is currently having his skills assessed by AITSL and I feel confident that this and the visa application will be successful. We are possibly looking to migrate to Aus late next year if all goes well.

Im now looking at the registration for teachers in Aus to start thinking about what we need to do. His education background:

4 years bachelors degree, 1 year PGCE in early years (3-7), 80 days supervised teaching practice (across ages 4-7)

Looking at the list of approved qualifications from ACECQA, I think the above qualifications falls under the equivalent Diploma level. My question about this is if he has an approved qualification as a Diploma equivalent, how does this help him? Is he able to register with some states? With certain restrictions? What would he be able to do in terms of employment?

I can see that he wouldn't satisfy the requirements for an Early Childhood Teacher as he doesn't have the required supervised teaching experience in the 0-2 year olds bracket, so what are the options?

Ive done a lot of research on this but still struggling on understanding how it all fits together. Any insight from anyone who is going through or has been through something similar would be greatly appreciated! :) 

He should be fine, since it could be any age between 0-8. Have u guys applied?

• Like 1

He should be fine, since it could be any age between 0-8. Have u guys applied?

We are currently waiting for the visa grant.

Since writing the first post, I’ve since come to the understanding that ACECQA don’t get involved for early childhood teachers within a school setting (as mentioned in the first reply in the thread).
My partner should therefore be able to register fine and teach within a school.

We have also however submitted his qualifications for assessment by ACECQA to enable him to work within a daycare setting if needed. This gives him better job prospects. I’m fairly certain the assessment will come back as a diploma level which will allow him to work as an educator.

Working as a  diploma level child care worker in a centre would mean a pretty lousy hourly wage. If he is able to register as an early childhood teacher with the TRB and teach in a school, then he will receive a better salary determined on experience (as per the state pay scale).

However, it is the all important visa requirements that he needs to satisfy if he is applying under the Early Childhood Teacher category. This category has very strict requirements with qualifications/age level studied and taught. Good luck, let us know how you go.

Edited by Sammy1
  • Thanks 1

Working as a  diploma level child care worker in a centre would mean a pretty lousy hourly wage. If he is able to register as an early childhood teacher with the TRB and teach in a school, then he will receive a better salary determined on experience (as per the state pay scale).
However, it is the all important visa requirements that he needs to satisfy if he is applying under the Early Childhood Teacher category. This category has very strict requirements with qualifications/age level studied and taught. Good luck, let us know how you go.

Thanks for the advice Sammy1. The skills assessment under ECT has already come back positive and we are waiting on the visa grant now. The plan is to register with the TRB and search for teaching jobs, but we wanted the day care work as an option, if nothing else to tide us over whilst a better job is found.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/03/2018 at 16:50, Bran said:

Thanks for the advice Sammy1. The skills assessment under ECT has already come back positive and we are waiting on the visa grant now. The plan is to register with the TRB and search for teaching jobs, but we wanted the day care work as an option, if nothing else to tide us over whilst a better job is found.

Hi,

Once you've got the Teaching Registration through the TRB you can work in a daycare as a Early Years Teacher (or a school). The pay is better than working as a Diploma. Each daycare centre has to employ a qualified teacher by law and they're desperate for them. A teacher in a school starts at approx $68k however most daycare teacher jobs are being advertised at approx $55-60k, although if you do relief work through an agency you can earn more like the $68k but only if you work 48 weeks per year (4 weeks hols).

I'm in Perth by the way so not sure about over East. 

Jillian 

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone registered with the South Australia TRB? I am trying to research how much of the application can be done before landing in Australia but struggling. I know there is a 1day training course before they will fully accept registration but do I have to complete this before I start the application? I was hoping to hit the ground running and have heard some whispers the process can take 3 months.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m hoping to go for my skills assessment for early years but my pgce isn’t early years , however all my teaching experiences in Uk is within this range as well as a masters ?? Could anyone help I’ve been in touch with AITSL but they weren’t much help to be honest ... 

Hi,
Once you've got the Teaching Registration through the TRB you can work in a daycare as a Early Years Teacher (or a school). The pay is better than working as a Diploma. Each daycare centre has to employ a qualified teacher by law and they're desperate for them. A teacher in a school starts at approx $68k however most daycare teacher jobs are being advertised at approx $55-60k, although if you do relief work through an agency you can earn more like the $68k but only if you work 48 weeks per year (4 weeks hols).
I'm in Perth by the way so not sure about over East. 
Jillian 

Even though you have your registration with the TRB, doesn’t ACECQA need to assess your qualifications for the ECT role within a day care?

Has anyone registered with the South Australia TRB? I am trying to research how much of the application can be done before landing in Australia but struggling. I know there is a 1day training course before they will fully accept registration but do I have to complete this before I start the application? I was hoping to hit the ground running and have heard some whispers the process can take 3 months.

From my research I believe you can register before arrival and complete the 1 day course when you get there, with that being a pre requisite to enable taking on teaching jobs.

3 months seems to be the average timeframe that some TRBs are quoting.
  • Thanks 1

I’m hoping to go for my skills assessment for early years but my pgce isn’t early years , however all my teaching experiences in Uk is within this range as well as a masters ?? Could anyone help I’ve been in touch with AITSL but they weren’t much help to be honest ... 

I think they’ve clamped down on primary qualifications going through under the 24111 visa.
A Mara agent could certainly clarify this for you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/05/2018 at 19:06, Bran said:

Even though you have your registration with the TRB, doesn’t ACECQA need to assess your qualifications for the ECT role within a day care?

I've had a quick nosey on the ACECQA websire to confirm. What I've understood is this:

If your Teaching qualification is Early Years then you just need to register with the TRB and then you can go ahead and apply for daycare jobs based on your degree and your registration.

If your degree is not in Early Childhood, then you need to have your Primary degree (which must include teaching children within the 5-8yr age range) plus teacher registration PLUS a Diploma in Early Childhood Education. You do not need to have any qualifications assessed through ACECQA unless you currently hold a UK Diploma in Early Childhood Education and want it assessed so that you don't have to do the Diploma in Australia. But you cannot work in Daycare as a Primary trained teacher unless you also have the Diploma. This rule runs out at the end of 2019 however anybody who has started work prior to that are allowed to continue. This info is based on WA, most other States also require teacher registration although some do not.

A few links that may be useful to people https://www.acecqa.gov.au/qualifications/requirements/children-preschool-age-or-under/early-childhood-teaching-qualifications

https://www.acecqa.gov.au/qualifications/requirements/children-preschool-age-or-under/recognition-as-an-equivalent-early-childhood-teacher

https://www.acecqa.gov.au/qualifications/early-childhood-teacher-registration-and-accreditation

http://www.trb.wa.gov.au/teacher_registrations/who_needs_to_be_registered/Pages/default.aspx

• 4 months later...

We are currently waiting for the visa grant.

Since writing the first post, I’ve since come to the understanding that ACECQA don’t get involved for early childhood teachers within a school setting (as mentioned in the first reply in the thread).
My partner should therefore be able to register fine and teach within a school.

We have also however submitted his qualifications for assessment by ACECQA to enable him to work within a daycare setting if needed. This gives him better job prospects. I’m fairly certain the assessment will come back as a diploma level which will allow him to work as an educator.

Thought that I would update this thread for anyone interested.
The ACECQA assessment came back as a diploma level, purely based on the fact that the qualification didn’t cover the 0-2 age range. We were expecting this but still frustrating as having the option of applying for ECT roles within day care centres would help ease the worry of job hunting.

We are now in the process of registering with Queensland TRB. Once this comes through, this opens up job prospects within schools, and specifically the lower primary roles.

There does seem to be a lot of confusing information to understand and follow to get started in teaching, in any setting, but I do think I understand it all now!

I read an interesting article recently that was published detailing the need to streamline the registration process for teachers, specifically having registration which is valid nationally.

https://www.aitsl.edu.au/teach/national-review-of-teacher-registration

• 2 weeks later...

For AITSL documentation, does the supervised teaching practice need to mention the dates and school where the placement was undertaken? Or just the number of days in total and the age group taught ?

In our case we supplied the number of days, age ranges, and names of schools. I would imagine that this is standard information that is required.

We had to get our letter redone from the university as the unit (weeks) for length of placement wasn’t initially stated; very frustrating but luckily was picked up by the agent before submission.
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bran said:

In our case we supplied the number of days, age ranges, and names of schools. I would imagine that this is standard information that is required.

We had to get our letter redone from the university as the unit (weeks) for length of placement wasn’t initially stated; very frustrating but luckily was picked up by the agent before submission.

So no dates of the placement ? I had 2 placements so should I mention the total days together or separately ?And what did you submit for age ranges ? 

• Like 1

So no dates of the placement ? I had 2 placements so should I mention the total days together or separately ?And what did you submit for age ranges ? 

We specified ‘2 x 8 weeks full time school placements’ and then listed both placements detailing the name of the school and age ranges:
Eg. XXXX Primary School (4-5 years)

If your placements were different lengths then list the timeframe against each placement. I don’t think the format is an issue as long as all the information is provided. If you have the actual date ranges then it wouldn’t hurt to provide them also.
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 31/10/2018 at 07:12, Bran said:

Hi, how did u approach your university for this letter?  

thank you

Mahr