North Shore or Northern Beaches?

CharleyOz

I seem to spend every waking moment crawling round domain and cityhobo.  I even bought a suburb map which is pinned proudly to my wall.  Our list of possibles gets bigger, then smaller, then bigger again! Can anyone help add some personal experiences?

Here's our situation:

• 40 something couple with 2 children, 6 and 11
  • He and the children are citizens, she is waiting to hear re partner visa - we've never lived in Australia as adults
  • This is a permanent relocation, so we want real life
  • His office will be in North Sydney but depending on which role he takes he may do a lot of work from home and/or travel 
  • Her job is up for grabs at the moment, but likely to be tech-based/management consulting type work based North Sydney, maybe Ryde, maybe CBD
  • We need to rent initially, but would like to buy at some point
  • Family are based in Castle Hill
  • Houses only, with some outside space
  • Expecting to both drive, but the option of public transport would be nice
  • Proudly suburban - we want green, cul-de-sacs, kids all playing out on the street together.  Don't need nightlife and occasional culture will do us fine.
  • Need 3+ beds + work/study space.  In previous locations we've gone for 4 beds, but if we can get a 3 bed with extra living space that would be lovely
  • Pool would be nice but we live in a full-facility condo right now and barely use the pool, so it's not a deal-breaker
  • We'll do state school, maybe selective state secondary for the oldest
  • We're going to need childcare after school unless she's very lucky with jobs
  • Budget - if we can keep it below $1K a week that would be fine and dandy.  Clearly the cheaper the better

So far we've looked at St. Ives, Davidson, French's Forest, Pymble, Lane Cove.... and on and on the list goes.  At one point we even thought about going right up to the bottom of the Central Coast, but I think that's right out.  

Anyone want to weigh in and rule anything in or out for us?

ETA:  D'oh.  In case I wasn't clear enough - I'm after suburb recommendations! :)

Edited by CharleyOz

For your requirements mid to upper North shore is probably best.  You don't want to be commuting to Ryde from the northern beaches and N Sydney can be a bit awkward from there too.  

Lane Cove, Pymble are on the right track, Also look Gordon, Killara etc  Follow the north shore train line.  You will not want to be driving in Sydney traffic.

Maybe have a look at Ryde, Gladesville, Drummoyne.  If you are close to the river, ferry is a good way to commute to N Sydney or cbd

• Like 1

Worth looking at Epping, Eastwood and West Ryde . All on a train line and commutable. All proudly suburban. Drummoyne and Gladesville likely to be above budget and you would have to drive to NR and bus to CBD then train to NS. Forget the Northern beaches, commuting is hell.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ScottieGirl said:

Worth looking at Epping, Eastwood and West Ryde . All on a train line and commutable. All proudly suburban. Drummoyne and Gladesville likely to be above budget and you would have to drive to NR and bus to CBD then train to NS. Forget the Northern beaches, commuting is hell.

Drummoyne, Gladesville to North Sydney very easy on the Parramatta river ferry to McMahons point and a 10 min walk/5 min bus up to N Sydney.  Drummoyne will be tight for budget but worth a look.  Gladesville more affordable

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Collie said:

Drummoyne, Gladesville to North Sydney very easy on the Parramatta river ferry to McMahons point and a 10 min walk/5 min bus up to N Sydney.  Drummoyne will be tight for budget but worth a look.  Gladesville more affordable

I rented in Gladesville last year, the nearest Ferry is Huntleys Point which is a bloody long walk. I  used to go into the CBD  by bus which took 45 minutes in rush hour then it would be another 15 to 20 minutes to NS from Town Hall train station

It used to be affordable but has sky rocketed in the last 2 years, houses are more expensive than Drummoyne now though they do tend to be bigger. Lovely houses though.

Edited by ScottieGirl
  • Like 1

I was thinking more the Putney direction, ie south of Vic road. 

I tend to call all that area Gladesville from the bridge to top ryde which isn't accurate, apologies for the confusion.  It;s a while ago but I used to love getting the rivercat from Drummoyne to Circular quay for work, 20-25 minutes for 9am.  Too short, would happily be a deck hand on a Sydney ferry, although I'm not much of a morning person.

• Like 1

Not a hope at rush hour.

I have a friend who commutes from Manly vale to the city and it takes him 40 minutes.  He is normally in for before 7am (leaves at about 6.15am).

I have had a few occasions over the years where I was travelling in from Mosman and it took >40 minutes on the bus.  Military road and the harbour bridge (even the bus lane) are car parks at rush hour.

On 16/07/2017 at 15:25, Collie said:

Not a hope at rush hour.

I have a friend who commutes from Manly vale to the city and it takes him 40 minutes.  He is normally in for before 7am (leaves at about 6.15am).

I have had a few occasions over the years where I was travelling in from Mosman and it took >40 minutes on the bus.  Military road and the harbour bridge (even the bus lane) are car parks at rush hour.

I used to go in on a Saturday morning , also a neighbour worked in the city and caught this bus everyday he would leave and walk to Pittwater to catch the it around 7am get to his office before 8 

things may have changed a bit more recently due to construction work at Frenchs forest 

The time I quoted are what it took , this was in 2015

• 2 weeks later...