To study or not... new conditions for PR

Dragonflygecko

Hi All,

I've recently been approved a 189 skilled independent visa for Australia and I move in 7 weeks :rolleyes: I am a Childcare Centre Manager and I am considering going back to study a Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood & Primary) birth to eight in Brisbane in November. I have previous studies from Ireland and the UK in Early Childhood which means I can do a 4 year degree in 2 years or maybe even 18 months which would open more options for me in the future e.g. better hours/pay and if I have my own family etc. So honestly speaking, I am only considering to go back to studying now so I can be classed as a domestic student and not international if I wait until after 2018 then this would be the case and the fees would be extortionate. So I guess my question is are Primary Teachers sought after in Queensland and would someone who only trained in Primary Education (5-12 years) be more employable than me who would have (0-8 years) and over 12 years experience in Early Education and Management.

Would love to hear from other Primary/Early Childhood Teachers...

As PR you will not be paying international fees after the change.  You will not however be eligible for a commonwealth place, which is cheaper than domestic fees.  On the other hand you will be able to access student loan for fees which is currently only possible for citizens.

I suggest you check this carefully with your proposed education establishment and read the information carefully. 

• Like 1

There is a huge surplus of primary school teachers in Queensland, with many hundreds unemployed. However, the Queensland Ed Department is currently advertising (nationwide)  for primary teachers in remote and regional areas, generally the places that not many people want to go.

If you only study from 0-8 years, then you would not be as employable compared to a teacher who can teach all primary levels.

On the other hand, daycare centres are always in need of early childhood teachers and you would find a job more easily in that kind of setting.

Perhaps get here first, start your job as manager of a daycare centre and then get a feel for the state and what and where you might like to go long term.

Edited by Sammy1
  • Like 2