Kindergarten(Preschool) admissions in September

sc333

We are waiting for the decision on our subclass 190 visa application. In meantime I wanted to check something about

preschool(kindergarten) admission for my wee one. She turns four this August and in case we get the visa granted anytime soon we might make the move to Melbourne say by September.

My first questions is, would my daughter get admission in a preschool in a full time basis( 15 hours) that time of the year and second questions is there a fees ? I have read that the child should be 4 years old by April of the year to get admission to free one year preschool before proper schooling. 

She will be eligible for the 15 hpw in 2018 - she has to have turned 4 before 30 April this year for a 2017 placement.  Looks like Victoria charges for that and fees vary according to institution unless you fall into one of the categories for subsidy but I doubt a new migrant would be eligible looking at that list. (Sorry I am used to ACT where there is universal free preschool)

http://www.education.vic.gov.au/childhood/parents/kindergarten/Pages/fees.aspx

Anything else is user pays, usually long day child care at about $100 per day, give or take, if you can find a place. Depending on your visa, there might be a bit of support with that

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply Quoll.That's disappointing. But I thought so as well by reading online. She is 4 years old now and she has got full time preschool admission this year from September here in UK(NI).

When does the first term start ? If there is a fee for early kindergarten( 3 year old before April this year) any rough idea what the fees might be per week, the hours per week and whether she could get an admission mid year( roughly September this year). 

My question is not about day care but about (early) Kindergarten for three year olds in Victoria. 

School year runs from January to December - foreign country, remember, not only that, several different education systems within it!

Before 4 year old preschool there are day care centres, it's not Britain!

http://ifp.mychild.gov.au/mvc/Search/Advanced  gives you an idea of what might be available in the area you are planning to live in but child care places in some areas are as rare as hen's teeth unfortunately. Looking at some places it seems like $110-120 per day is the norm now (eek!)

• Like 2

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:46, sc333 said:

We are waiting for the decision on our subclass 190 visa application. In meantime I wanted to check something about

preschool(kindergarten) admission for my wee one. She turns four this August and in case we get the visa granted anytime soon we might make the move to Melbourne say by September.

My first questions is, would my daughter get admission in a preschool in a full time basis( 15 hours) that time of the year and second questions is there a fees ? I have read that the child should be 4 years old by April of the year to get admission to free one year preschool before proper schooling. 

I checked the fees my son's former Kinder now charges. For 2017 for 3YO Kinder (even though she'll have turned 4 it's the age in April that is relevant) the fee is $450 per term but that is for only 6 hours per week. 4YO Kinder is state subsidised and so the fee is $410 per term for 15 hours per week (at that particular Kinder - rates will vary between Kinders and that's the 2017 price I don't know what it will be in 2018).

There may be spaces available in 3YO Kinder for term 4 (starts 9th October) as some students leave as parents relocate during the school year - if you really want a place you'll just need to ask around different Kinders (best to do that before term 3 ends - 22nd September).

Edited by Ken
  • Like 1

Thank you very much Ken for the checking the fees. Your post is quite informative. I do respect your advise as well. It seems to confirm my assumptions on what I thought about the fees, but hours little lesser then what I thought.