Whats Adelaide like?!!

jim77

Hiya..im a newbie and need some help/info etc!!

We are making the plunge to move to Oz and are looking at Adelaide, we have 3 kids and are looking for nice family areas, work, links to CBD etc. Were not posh so don't need anywhere fancy!!

I work in Finance and the wife is just looking for any kind of work. She has worked in shops, factory work etc. Just need to know what work life is like in that part of Australia, any help is really appreciated. We would like nice family suburbs, but not too far from civilisation!!

Thanks Jim!!

We've been very happy here since arriving a few years ago. Home, school, jobs, all worked out for us. Really like the city in terms of what it offer us. Lovely coastline also. Someone else might post and disagree with my take on it, everyone is going to have a different story to tell.

Finance is a bit broad and honestly could not tell you if there are jobs here in your field or know how it might pan out for you. It's one of those things no one can ever be certain of.

I find Adelaide family friendly and we settled really well and are very happy we made the move. 

Adelaide is lovely but it is very much a small town and not a big city.  Not so much in size (although it's not massive) but very much so in feel and outlook.  This suits me down to the ground as I really don't like big cities.  There are lots of lovely family friendly areas and where is best depends on what your budget is, whether you want to be close to the beach or the hills, where you are working and how long you are prepared to commute.  Have you had a look on the Poms in Adelaide site?  It's not a very busy forum but there are lots of posts about areas on there.

• Like 1

Hey mate,

I don't know Adelaide too well and have only visited, really enjoyed it.  There was a great post about Adelaide on a different thread recently really singing it's praises.  I know the fringe festival gets a great rap.

Work will be the issue. The FS industry is predominantly based in Sydney and Melbourne.  Most head offices (domestic and Intl) are in Sydney or Melbourne with the odd one in the other cities.

What area of Finance do you work in?  Are you a qualified accountant or working in Financial Services (or both)?

My background is FS and I have recently made the move to Perth (family reasons).  Finding it tough to find work and will probably have to move industry but it's hard to get a start in a new industry even though the skill set is transferable.  I imagine Adelaide would be similar.  You may need to consider a change in industry.

Adelaide is a nice elegant city but when I say city, it is really more of a town by UK standards. People get to know each other there because it is smallish and it has a good artistic vibe.  What I really like about it is that you can drive north and keep going and you are in the outback. If you don't want to go that far you can go to the wineries instead! Having said that, I wouldn't want to live there for ever because it is small but airfares over to Sydney and Melb are cheap if you buy at the right time and feel like a break.