Good areas to live for families

nicholiverpool

Little bit of background, we are a family of 4, both in late 20s with an 8 and 2 year old. 

We have a few places in mind between Brisbane and Gold Coast, but I wondered where everyone else reccomends. 

We arnt bothered about the beach, more value for house and land is preferable. 

We would like a modern/ newish suburb, family orientated, with great schools and nurseries. 

My daughter dances so would love to join a dance school. 

Ultimately good schools will triumph where we locate. 

Do you know where you would be working? The commute from GC to Brissy every day would wear thin after a while as traffic is always at a standstill at peak times. If GC way for work look at North Gold Coast as it has some newer estates and more being built ,have a look at Coomera, Helensvale etc

Dance schools are pretty much everywhere so wherever you go finding one local shouldnt be a problem. Maybe wait till she is at school and see if her friends go or can recommend one.

Cal x

Have you had a look on realestae.com? This will give you a good guide to rental and sales prices in areas you like the look of, this way you can narrow down places if they are out of your budget. you would have a host of hospoitals within communitng distance of Northern Gold Coast so that works in your favour.

Cal x

• 7 months later...

You could look at pimpama and ormeau too. Some good schools around there aswell. Bit cheaper than helensvale and coomera but lots of new housing options. Give us a shout if you have any questions about that particular area. We built a new house in ormeau and my partner is a nurse too

2 minutes ago, Ferrets said:

We are in Wynnum / Manly and that seems a popular family place - it's described as Brisbane's seaside (though not beachy as Moreton Island hogs the sand).

A great vibe and we are really enjoying it :D

Hey @Ferrets, we're in the Valley, but our lease finishes in a couple of months. We're considering the Wynnum/Manly area. Do you mind sharing your thoughts as to what areas to avoid and which ones are family friendly please? We will have 2 under 2 come June (!)

Thanks!

1 minute ago, DukeNinja said:

Hey @Ferrets, we're in the Valley, but our lease finishes in a couple of months. We're considering the Wynnum/Manly area. Do you mind sharing your thoughts as to what areas to avoid and which ones are family friendly please? We will have 2 under 2 come June (!)

Thanks!

It's really nice and laid back.  We had a rental in Wynnum North, and now moved down near the Esplanade.  If that can be in your budget with 2 under 2 it is superb; we went for a walk with out 5 & 3 yr olds yesterday and they were thrilled to see the crabs, fishes, pelicans and bats! (they have seen them many times).

The train ride back into the city is not great, so that needs to be taken into consideration - I am able to work from home so it's ok for us, but otherwise I would cycle.

If you need any more PM and I can do you a tour ;)

Guest The Pom Queen
On 06/06/2017 at 22:20, nicholiverpool said:

Not yet but I'm a nurse so would be in a hospital. Not sure where yet haven't started applying x

How about Indooroopilly. It would be close to the shopping centres and hospitals. Or even Mt Gravatt (Sp) you have two excellent shopping centres 15 minutes apart Westfield Carindale and Westfield Mt Gravatt and Princess Alexandra/Greenslopes Hospital roughly the  same distance. Take a look here.

https://www.pomsinoz.com/articles.html/where-to-live-in-australia/queensland/

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/01/2018 at 19:11, The Pom Queen said:

How about Indooroopilly. It would be close to the shopping centres and hospitals. Or even Mt Gravatt (Sp) you have two excellent shopping centres 15 minutes apart Westfield Carindale and Westfield Mt Gravatt and Princess Alexandra/Greenslopes Hospital roughly the  same distance. Take a look here.

https://www.pomsinoz.com/articles.html/where-to-live-in-australia/queensland/

We stayed at the Brisbane Holiday Village near the Mt Gravatt Westfield, and another plus of that area is the excellent bus link into the city, it rockets along the closed bus lane so is really quick!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2018 at 23:49, Ferrets said:

It's really nice and laid back.  We had a rental in Wynnum North, and now moved down near the Esplanade.  If that can be in your budget with 2 under 2 it is superb; we went for a walk with out 5 & 3 yr olds yesterday and they were thrilled to see the crabs, fishes, pelicans and bats! (they have seen them many times).

The train ride back into the city is not great, so that needs to be taken into consideration - I am able to work from home so it's ok for us, but otherwise I would cycle.

If you need any more PM and I can do you a tour ;)

Hi @Ferrets another couple here thinking about this area and surrounds. Love love Manly! So expensive tho, we thought Manly West was ok as as Wynnum ... are the 'west' parts (which we know are literally geographically west) less appealing for any other reasons than they are not on the sea? When you say the train ride back is not great - why is this? I know it's about 45 mins but it is really slow or really crowded or?

2 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

Hi @Ferrets another couple here thinking about this area and surrounds. Love love Manly! So expensive tho, we thought Manly West was ok as as Wynnum ... are the 'west' parts (which we know are literally geographically west) less appealing for any other reasons than they are not on the sea? When you say the train ride back is not great - why is this? I know it's about 45 mins but it is really slow or really crowded or?

Hi @Ozzie, Manly West is still nice aside from not being in the sea - schools are good and access to the explained is still fairly quick.  The issue with the train is speed; seems that one river crossing slows things down unnecessarily, though hopefully cross river rail will help a lot.

any other questions just about ☺

7 minutes ago, Ferrets said:

Hi @Ozzie, Manly West is still nice aside from not being in the sea - schools are good and access to the explained is still fairly quick.  The issue with the train is speed; seems that one river crossing slows things down unnecessarily, though hopefully cross river rail will help a lot.

any other questions just about ☺

Thanks for the speedy reply @Ferrets great about Manly West as there is a plethora of rentals compared to Manly. I'll look up the cross river rail, hadn't heard of that yet.

We were in Manly yesterday, such a great area! Had a hot choc at the Coopers Cafe. great location and nice staff. Just wish it was nicer weather we could have gone for a walk along the prom (forgot the brolly).

How is Wynnum and Wynnum West? Less salubrious?  Is Lota ok?

Sorry for all the questions!

2 hours ago, Ozzie said:

Thanks for the speedy reply @Ferrets great about Manly West as there is a plethora of rentals compared to Manly. I'll look up the cross river rail, hadn't heard of that yet.

We were in Manly yesterday, such a great area! Had a hot choc at the Coopers Cafe. great location and nice staff. Just wish it was nicer weather we could have gone for a walk along the prom (forgot the brolly).

How is Wynnum and Wynnum West? Less salubrious?  Is Lota ok?

Sorry for all the questions!

To be honest it's all quite nice - budget obviously has a difference but the schools are good.  We have rented in Wynnum North and would have been happy with Wynnum SS for our eldest.

Lota is also good, the school is a bit smaller but still good and there are express trains that stop at Manly but then bypass Wynnum which makes up some time.

If you need anything else please shout!