Partner/ De Facto Visa - Please Help!

Guest Hannah410

Guest Hannah410

Hi there. Great site and very interesting reading. If anyone can help us out I'd be mighty grateful!

My Aussie boyfriend and myself (a Brit) have been together since Feb 2006. He came over here on a Working Holiday Visa in Feb 2007 and we've been living together since then which we can easily prove.

We plan to go back to Australia together around November this year. Can anyone tell us if it would be better to get my medical and police checks done in the UK and lodge the partner visa application in person in London now OR for me to go back to Oz with him on a tourist visa and apply together in person by booking an interview at the Migration Office in Australia? (I've used up my Oz working holiday visa) I know that you can apply for a bridging visa if the process takes longer than 3 months but don't know if you can apply for a partner visa whilst on a tourist visa? All I can find out is that it costs $2060 to apply for the partner visa when in Australia. Then I guess you have to go through the same process in Australia. Does anyone know how much it costs for a medical and police check in OZ?

Thanks in advance!

Hannah and Jay

Hi welcome sorry cant help with oz costs but in uk it costs around £200-£300 per person if you did 3 months of rural work on your working hol visa u may beable to get another & i believe that onshore visa are processed quicker

hopefully someone whos been there done it will be on soon

good luck

Guest gemmahey

Hi there. Great site and very interesting reading. If anyone can help us out I'd be mighty grateful!

My Aussie boyfriend and myself (a Brit) have been together since Feb 2006. He came over here on a Working Holiday Visa in Feb 2007 and we've been living together since then which we can easily prove.

We plan to go back to Australia together around November this year. Can anyone tell us if it would be better to get my medical and police checks done in the UK and lodge the partner visa application in person in London now OR for me to go back to Oz with him on a tourist visa and apply together in person by booking an interview at the Migration Office in Australia? (I've used up my Oz working holiday visa) I know that you can apply for a bridging visa if the process takes longer than 3 months but don't know if you can apply for a partner visa whilst on a tourist visa? All I can find out is that it costs $2060 to apply for the partner visa when in Australia. Then I guess you have to go through the same process in Australia. Does anyone know how much it costs for a medical and police check in OZ?

Thanks in advance!

Hannah and Jay

Hi There

I have just had my spouse visa granted, and I have booked the flights to Oz in October, so more or less in the same boat as you, I was going to go over on an working holiday visa, but as I knew I had till end of this year till I went I thought I'd might as well get the processed started and out of the way,

If you take alook at my time line it was all very quick (apart from my meds were sent to oz instead of London which delayed the application by a couple of week) and the cost see below:

Visa: £655

Police Check: £35

Med: £125

X-ray:£90

Blood Test:£45

Certifying documents: around £35 for every thing

If you want any help with any thing we can p.m or chat on line as I know it can be brain wrecking and drawn out, but it is just a weight off my mind that I can go over there ne time now and stay for 2 years.

Thanks in advance!

Hannah and Jay

Hi Hannah & jay

You can go either way & apply in the uk or apply onshore here in oz.

If you come over to oz on a holiday visa(3months) you must have a return ticket, you can lodge your application & arrange to have an interview with a migration agent on the same day, do the uk police check (best to get this in place before you leave the uk) & then posted out to you in oz and have your medical here in oz.You do not need a aussie police check, that comes when you go for the pr.

You need to lodge your application here in oz before the holiday visa of 3 months expires - i am not 100% sure but do not think they like handing out bridging visas on this type of application (as a person i know had troubles doing it that way) once you have lodged your application you get a stamp in your passport to say that you can remain in oz untill the decision has been made or withdrawn - but you cannot work untill you have your temp visa.

There should be no reason why you cannot get your application in before you 3 month holiday visa is up. Once it is lodged in oz you cannot leave oz unless you get permission or whatever they call it from immi, and you have to be in oz to get the temp visa granted. Then theres the 2 year wait from date of temp visa to then apply for your pr.

Its all quite easy & straightforward honest, you'll be good

all the best

stuju

We plan to go back to Australia together around November this year. Can anyone tell us if it would be better to get my medical and police checks done in the UK and lodge the partner visa application in person in London now OR for me to go back to Oz with him on a tourist visa and apply together in person by booking an interview at the Migration Office in Australia?

I would suggest applying in the UK in the next month or so if you can. London is known for processing partner visas fairly quickly if all the evidence is present, and you "front load" the application (i.e. have the medical before you lodge the application, and include the necessary Police Check(s) with the application).

The High Commission website says that they generally decide/grant the visa in 3-10 weeks (reference link). In October 2005 when I applied for my spouse visa (de jure rather than de facto) my visa was granted in 3 business days.

Edit: And it also costs less to apply for the visa off-shore (AU$1,390 = £655 (official currency converter for visas) than it does on-shore (AU$2,060) - reference link But before you apply, do check BOTH the fees and currency converter as they will both be changed on 1 July!

Guest Hannah410
Hi Hannah & jay

You can go either way & apply in the uk or apply onshore here in oz.

If you come over to oz on a holiday visa(3months) you must have a return ticket, you can lodge your application & arrange to have an interview with a migration agent on the same day, do the uk police check (best to get this in place before you leave the uk) & then posted out to you in oz and have your medical here in oz.You do not need a aussie police check, that comes when you go for the pr.

You need to lodge your application here in oz before the holiday visa of 3 months expires - i am not 100% sure but do not think they like handing out bridging visas on this type of application (as a person i know had troubles doing it that way) once you have lodged your application you get a stamp in your passport to say that you can remain in oz untill the decision has been made or withdrawn - but you cannot work untill you have your temp visa.

There should be no reason why you cannot get your application in before you 3 month holiday visa is up. Once it is lodged in oz you cannot leave oz unless you get permission or whatever they call it from immi, and you have to be in oz to get the temp visa granted. Then theres the 2 year wait from date of temp visa to then apply for your pr.

Its all quite easy & straightforward honest, you'll be good

all the best

stuju

Hi

Thanks for your advice people! It's really helped. My boyfriend and I are doing a tour of Europe in a for the next 3 months so after wieghing up all the advice I've decided to wait until we get back from the trip in early October to apply. Then we can get the med and police check done in advance and personally lodge the application in London with an Immi officer. I'm a bit worried that if I apply before I go off to Europe they will need further evidence or my passport etc which will be a bit tricky when in another country!

Or failing that I will get the med and pc done in the UK and then apply when we are back in oz as we will then have an NT address together and my boyfriend will have work by then and access to all his documents. I know this is more expensive but I have heard about people getting their visa granted then and there when applying in person after an informal interview by an Oz Immi Official as long as all forms and evidence are present.

Any other comments based on this plan would be welcome!

Thanks again

Hannah and Jay

• 3 months later...
Guest beckerboodles
Hi

Thanks for your advice people! It's really helped. My boyfriend and I are doing a tour of Europe in a for the next 3 months so after wieghing up all the advice I've decided to wait until we get back from the trip in early October to apply. Then we can get the med and police check done in advance and personally lodge the application in London with an Immi officer. I'm a bit worried that if I apply before I go off to Europe they will need further evidence or my passport etc which will be a bit tricky when in another country!

Or failing that I will get the med and pc done in the UK and then apply when we are back in oz as we will then have an NT address together and my boyfriend will have work by then and access to all his documents. I know this is more expensive but I have heard about people getting their visa granted then and there when applying in person after an informal interview by an Oz Immi Official as long as all forms and evidence are present.

Any other comments based on this plan would be welcome!

Thanks again

Hannah and Jay

I know this is an old post, but thought i'd tell you about my situation, that is exactly the same as yours, but a few months ahead - I have been with my AUSTRLIAN OH since feb 07 and we have lived together since Aug07, we went travelling together in jun til aug07 and came to Oz in late Aug, we were only just able to get evidence of living together for 12 months from August, and my OH needed to be in OZ by Sept for work ( origionally we were to come in Oct but plans changed) so i had to come in on holidays.

I am on a ETA visa and we are now in process of finalising our application ON SHORE, as long as you are on a 3 month ETA visa they can not put a ' no further stay condition' on it and therefore you are able to apply for the Spouse / defacto visa from here.

I had my police checks done in the UK and have just had my Meds ( the blood test and xray part ) done here in Oz ( See doctor for results and rest of checks next week) just book on line at ' health services australia'

I prepared a lot of the evidence in the UK and am awaiting the arrival of our boxes from the shipping company ( this has taken an unbelievable amount of time!) to get the files out, as not a good idea to carry this paperwork with you when you arrive. Also i would advise - you will need a return ticket and go through immigration on your own, saying you are travelling for a few months, visiting friends, have at least one addreess of who you are staying with and do not mention ' boyfriend' as this can lead to further questions. Also don't carry everything bar the kitchen sink in your luggage, if need be let OH carry stuff in his bags.

It all seems like a straighforward process so far and i think all i have to do next is book an appointment with immi office to lodge application, I am not sure how long the process will take. I do beleive that you are not able to work until they grant the visa, which is not a problem for me, but may be for others.

Good luck!

Bec

• 5 weeks later...
Guest beckerboodles
It all seems like a straighforward process so far and i think all i have to do next is book an appointment with immi office to lodge application, I am not sure how long the process will take. I do beleive that you are not able to work until they grant the visa, which is not a problem for me, but may be for others.

Good luck!

Bec

Just a quick update:

I called immi and got an appointment pretty quickly, we lodged our applicatuion in person on 3rdNovember 2008 , all pretty straight forward, she looked through the stuff, gave us back what we didn't need and then said that it all seemed to be in order and she didn't see any reason why she wouldn't issue the visa pretty quickly, probably this week!

Well today I received my Visa Grant letter!!!!! Granted on 4th Nov

so it seems it can all be done pretty quickly over here if you have the paperwork in order.

• 4 years later...
Just a quick update:

I called immi and got an appointment pretty quickly, we lodged our applicatuion in person on 3rdNovember 2008 , all pretty straight forward, she looked through the stuff, gave us back what we didn't need and then said that it all seemed to be in order and she didn't see any reason why she wouldn't issue the visa pretty quickly, probably this week!

Well today I received my Visa Grant letter!!!!! Granted on 4th Nov

so it seems it can all be done pretty quickly over here if you have the paperwork in order.

it seems like everyone has got their visa granted reallly quickly. Did you guys lodge the application in Oz or in UK?

and I have called immi and have been told that I do not need to make appointments or lodge the application in person because the immigration department would rather have paper application. this is confusing me. did you guys do it in oz?

Archived